Hot loads for the 45-70

Gun freak

Inactive
Calling all 45-70 owners!what is the hottest load(without blowing you and the gun up)you have found for the 45-70,factory or handloads?

Hot

When you talk/ write about blowing the gun up and hot loads, you have to take into consideration what gun you are talking about.
Hot loads that are safe in a Ruger #1 will blow up a Trapdoor Springfield in fairly short order.
Want info on hot loads? Look in a load manual under the section entitled "For Ruger #1 Only". You will find loads for 350 grain bullets at 2200 fps and loads for 500 grainers only a few hundred fps slower than the .458 Win.
Pete

A strong 45-70 load (300gr Sierrra @ near 2,500fps) reaches into the starting range of the 458WinMag.

But why?

For 30 years I loaded my heavy 458WM down to mid/low lever action 45-70 for Eastern hunting. I finally just got a relatively light Marlin GBL to do the same thing -- and a lot easier carrying -- and still kill anything on this Continent deader`n a doornail..

Last edited:
My favorite load is A 525gr Beartooth piledriver over 40 gr of RL7, fed primer, Starline brass. I don't know how much hotter i could make it, but it will get your attention. I don't have A chrony but it should be 1600fps+

I'm fairly well schooled on hot 45-70 loads and have the scars to prove it...but i ain't saying one word without knowing what type of rifle you're asking about.

Converted Mauser, 1886, Ruger, Marlin, Trapdoor....?

mehavey said:
A strong 45-70 load (300gr Sierrra @ near 2,500fps) reaches into the starting range of the 458WinMag.

But why?

+1

If you really want a .458 Magnum, why don't you just buy one?
After a bench rest session with one of those lightweight lever rifles, you may be looking to load this cartridge down, not up.

Maybe if you hunted with these loads you'd know how much you need.Hot loads bite on both ends !! :p
SAAMI specs are 27,000 IIRC some of the factory loads are less than that. I use 300 factory with a NoslerPartition at 1850 .It's more than enough for deer.
Marlin takes as much as 40,000 but the strongest Ruger #1 and Browning 1885 will top that . But since mammoths have long disappeared from this state I'll stick to my Browning 1885 !:D

I'm not recoil sensitive. To me a 30-06 with a steel butt plate doesn't have much recoil. My gunsmith had a Siamese Mauser chambered for 45-70 and I dunno what the load was but three of them was all I could stand and I didn't really want the last two.

I'm fairly well schooled on hot 45-70 loads and have the scars to prove it...but i ain't saying one word without knowing what type of rifle you're asking about.

Converted Mauser, 1886, Ruger, Marlin, Trapdoor....?

I don't have any scars but....what he said.:cool: X10

My marlin loads would grenade a trap door and give you a new case of acne.

Ain't goin' there; no way, no how. :D

This impressed the heck out of me until I learned more about what was going on and how fortunate I was to not be injured by my buddy's reloads. He was wanting ubervelocity .45-70 rounds and that is what he got such that

There are a couple of pics and details. Punching through AR500 steel with partial jacket hollowpoint ammo is pretty impressive...but don't do this. :o

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=293828

After a bench rest session with one of those lightweight lever rifles,

If there is a worse gun for a "bench rest session" than a centerfire lever action, I am having trouble thinking of it at the moment.

Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man, where you can sort of sway with the recoil and be ready to go hunting.

my "hotties" came from a handloader magazine artical from a couple years back where the author took a guide gun to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo, & ended up killing 2... the bull he intended to shoot, & the cow that was standing behind it, & was still killed after the bullet passed completely through a big bull...

they kick alot... but if you can handle recoil, no problem... they did recoil off the stock sights on my guide gun after 10-12 shots, when I was load developing

If there is a worse gun for a "bench rest session" than a centerfire lever action, I am having trouble thinking of it at the moment.

Haha, last weekend I had 13 rounds worked up to test for accuracy, was shooting on sand bags from a bench. I tested from 56-59gr IMR 8208 XBR and a 350gr bullet. I tell you what, that 13th shot was about all I could handle. If I had another load to test I doubt I would have done it. In the future I'm using a lead sled or only shooting maybe 6 shots in a session. I can go up to like 61gr but I'm sticking with 58.2gr. To practice, you can bet I'm not going to shoot it from a bench.

This will be the MO from here on out, now that I have a load that suits me:
Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man, where you can sort of sway with the recoil and be ready to go hunting.

I worked up some pretty warm loads using the Hornady 350 FP bullets and IMR 4198 powder....not sure what the max velocity is but they definitely kick a lot harder than factory loads or my mild loads using 400 gr cast bullets ! I guess I don't see the need for hot loads for most of the hunting and target shooting I do but it is nice knowing you can in the stronger modern rifles ( Please check your reloading manuals for data on the specific rifle being used ).

Last edited:
If you want some kick, shoot a 350gr @2200fps out of a Ruger No.3!

I'm 6' and 250lbs+ (more plus than I like to admit) and this load walks me back a step when I shoot it. Won't shoot it from a bench, and NEVER prone!

Bought the gun nearly 30 years ago, and 50rnds of Hornday 350gr on top of a stiff charge of IMR 4227. Still have 11 of those rounds left!!!!

Got a .458 Win later, thinking I wanted more. Turns out, I didn't want more, once I had it.;)

Shoots great (and much more comfortable) with lighter loads, and kills dead everything that walks. So I don't bother with the uber monster loads anymore.

One word of caution, if you want hot loads, choose the right bullet. The Speer 400gr JSP isn't it. Designed to expand at much lower speeds, when you get that bullet up to 1800fps (or more, :eek:) it turns into a grenade. At high speed, it acts like a varmint bullet. Not really suitable for big game anymore.

The Hornady 350gr and some others are built to take the higher speeds without blowing up on impact.

Back