Hot .45ACP Loads!

support_six

Since the search function is not operable, can anyone give me a quick lesson in .45 ACP hot loads? For instance, I don't see any .45 +P loads listed in Winchester, Remington, or Federal ammo guides, is there such a thing and what are the ballistics? Can a .45 ACP +P be used in most .45 autos? What is the .45 Winchester Magnum? Is this a magnum for the .45 Colt? Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce Woodbury

Buy some Speer Gold Dots 230gr,,,,,unreal!

Much more potent than normal practice stuff. The SGDs spits out a huge flame with every shot. Buy some and let me know what you think.

~Jason

Hello. Hornady offers +P .45ACP loads in their 230 gr XTP and 200 gr XTP rounds. I believe they claim 950 ft/sec for the heavier bullet and around 1000 ft/sec or so for the 200 gr. Remington offers their conventional 185 gr JHP in +P and I think it gets something like 1100 ft/sec and about the same for their +P version of the 185 gr Golden Saber. Cor*Bon and Triton offer many .45ACP +P loads as well.

Best.

I have found the Hornady 230 +P HP to be extremely accurate in all of my Colts and my Kimber Gold Match.
It is listed as +P but doesn't feel any different to me than standard ball .

I worked up to the max listed load using the same bullet and AA powder for hunting. That load was a little more stout.

I like the Cor Bon 230 HP in .45 Acp.

Hot 45ACP

I like the whole COR-BON line. It is very hot ammo and from the actual results, it works very well! My favorite 45ACP load is the 185JHP from COR-BON. Good luck!

Remington Golden Sabre has 185g +P's...

RGS is my personal choice because they are quite effective AND readily available. Cor-Bon or Speer perform just as well, perhaps even marginally better, but I can't just walk in to a shop around here and get them. Plus, they're a couple bucks less, without sacrificing dependability.

I carry Triton (Quik-Shok flavor) 230 gr +Ps in my 1911. They also make a 185 & 165 gr +Ps.

Also, over on Glock Talk is info on Triton's newly introduced .450 SMC (Short Magnum Cartridge). Here is a copy of the info...

Coming in January 2001

For those that want more from their .45 ACP chambered handguns, Triton introduces the new 450 SMC. The 450 SMC is based on a simple principle, to strengthen the weakest link in the .45 ACP chain and boost its performance to new levels. All this while not over-stressing the gun (OEM .45 ACP firearms must be modified with the use of a heavy recoil spring).

To accomplish this Triton went to the heart of the problem, the .45 ACP cartridge case. By borrowing from the .45 Winchester Magnum and .40 Super cartridge cases, Triton has come up with a winning combination. A cartridge case that is internally stronger while maintaining the same exterior dimensions as the .45 ACP.

The 450 SMC is a great choice for .45 ACP fans offering the flexibility of using both the 450 SMC (with a heavy recoil spring) and .45 ACP from the same barrel. Production firearms for the .450 are available from STI International, 114 Halmar Cove, Georgetown TX 78628, (800) 959-8201.

From the 165 grain JHP at 1,450 fps, to the 230 grain JHP at 1150 fps, the 450 SMC surpasses the 10mm in performance and is second only to the .40 Super.

With its small primer pocket and robust construction, the 450 SMC is the ideal choice for the reloader.

The 450 SMC will be available in our Quik-Shok and Hi-Vel lines.

TR450QSA Quik-Shok 165 grain JHP 1450 fps/770 ft/lbs 5” bbl
TR450QSB Quik-Shok 230 grain JHP 1150 fps/675 ft/lbs 5” bbl
TR450HVA Hi-Vel 165 grain JHP 1450 fps/770 ft/lbs 5” bbl
TR450HVB Hi-Vel 230 grain JHP 1150 fps/675 ft/lbs 5” bbl

Big flash

Just a general comment that a big noise and flash outside the barrel may look impressive, but indicate that powder is burning outside the barrel and is essentially wasted. The ideal is the maximum powder burning inside the barrel where the gas pressure will add to the bullet velocity.

Jim

Jim's right. Not only does it mean that the powder is not fully burned, but it spells death in defensive shooting at night. It's like a neon sign that gives away your position. Worse yet, bright muzzle flash blinds the shooter temporarily, making followup shots virtually impossible. Good defensive loads should have the least muzzle flash possible.

Apparently all store-bought +P loads are self defense, (which I assume means quite expensive)?

Would the 450 SMC be safe to use in a stock HK compact? I understand that Super is permitted in an OEM HK full size.

Thanks.

Back