Hostage Rescue Team's Gun

Ludwig

I remember quite a while ago seeing that Para Ordnance was the HRT choice. Big contract, and so on. Next thing I knew, HRT was getting single stack guns from Les Baer or someone else. Does anyone know why the change from Para Ordnance? Always wondered. Thanks. L

My (probably wrong) theory:

When your primary weapon is an MP5/10, then you can probably give up a round or two in your secondary and go with the slim grips of the single-stack 1911 that are part and parcel of the whole mystique of Ol' Slabsides.

That, and the U.S.-made Les Baer probably scored quite a few points over the Canadian ParaOrd in the NIH category. ;)

Just got done reading another article on the adoption of this 1911 by the FBI SWAT. First of all, there are two special units in the FBI, the SWAT and the HRT. Both fall under the same leadership from the way the article sounded. Because of compatibility reasons one sidearm was to be chosen for both units. The HRT had been using the Les Baer customized Para Ord P13. The SWAT was using SIG 226s I believe. The Paras were having reliability issues, most of which were addressed, but at what seemed like a great expense of replacement parts of nearly all the internals. An extensive test was conducted under guidelines set forth by the FBI for specifications of what they expected from the single stack .45s. Anyway, in the end, the Springfield Armory Custom Shop .45 won the contract. This pistol is one piece of work, believe me! After what they put these pistols through they have to be. I think the testing was about as extreme, if not more so, than what the ARMY put the M9 pistols through back in '85. They made a good choice too. Some of the others in the test were Wilson, Colt, Les Baer (I think), and a few others that I can't remember right now.

i think my understanding is just a hair different, but i might be wrong too, so...

the HRT is a specialized unit that flies out to wherever there is a potential need for their services. the FBI SWAT teams are like the local LE SWAT units. they are attached to local offices and have regular duties.

the original HRT pistol competition was won by the les baer customized para-ord. the baer .45 was the only entry that could meet the accuracy requirements. spec ammo was the 230 gr hydra-shok

the SWAT pistol competition was won by the SA customized single-stack .45. baer did not compete. spec ammo was the remington golden sabre (there were complaints from other manufacturers about the ammo selection)

HRT was having feeding problems (mags?) and i heard thay were now using the SWAT gun too.

corrections welcomed

I wondered about the HRT P-14 because I have a stock P-14 that was made in about 1994. All five of the 14-round mags qualified with 230 Golden Saber without a single malfunction. But I started thinking that maybe the P-14 breaks down when I saw the HRT with new guns. I do read complaints about the Paras on the boards and wonder if I should really trust mine. I much appreciate the information you all have given me on the subject. L

I was under the impression that the problem with the HRT Baer Paras was corrected with magazine part replacement (I believe it was a spring/follower, I might be wrong).

As for the Paras themselves, I have a P12 and P13 with well over 7500 rounds of .45acp through them each and I can count the amount of failures I have had on two hands. And 4 those were revolving around an extended shooting session that ended with that light loaded match ammo from Federal (185 swc I believe is the loading).

I have replaced the mag springs because I noticed that the tension was getting a bit weak and I put the extra tension Wolff's in there and they are fine.

As with any manufacture, you will find those that love a particular pistol or those that hate a particular pistol, as mentioned 1911forum.com or pistolsmith.com would be a good place for info.

Derek

There was an article about this in Guns and Ammo a while back and the HRT did decide on the Springfield single stack custom. I'm almost positive about this

Back