Horse for courses, or Jack of all trades?

Pond James Pond

I've rekindled an interest in my grandfather's old shotguns (dating back to the 60s and late 40s).

Both have a similar sight set-up and, needless to say, neither has any kind of mounting system.

So, looking at the attached photo of one of them, could you tell me if this is an all-purpose sight for flying targets as well as bigger game or does it lend itself to only one such as clays/wildfowl?

attachment.php

I am seriously thinking of adopting these 12g and 16g shotguns as hunting firearms with which to pass my hunting licence tests, but there's no sense in handicapping myself with harder-to-use equipment...

Attachments

• P1050001.JPG
    P1050001.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 192
I can't tell if that's a bead on a ramp or a rifle type sight from that view. Side view would be better. A simple bead is all most shotguns employ.

It is a cylinder set on a thinner ridge, about half an inch long, seen from the side.

I guess I want to know if people can shoot accurately with this type of sight if you are trying to pin a moving boar with a slug from 50m....

After all, I'm more used to scopes, so that sight looks mighty challenging!! :o

Doesn't matter what its side profile is, what the shooter sees is a ball on a stick.

I have known people who hunted big game with shotgun slugs and nothing but a front bead, but ranges were short.

Also consider that a double barrel shotgun is unlikely to be regulated for slugs and probably will not shoot both barrels together.

But you might shoot the gun and see for yourself.

Shotguns are used differently than rifles.
Shotgunners rely more on form and fit of the gun and less on sights.
Especially with fast running boar.
It's more like instinct shooting.
Shotguns with sights are more the province of rifled slug barrels and sabot slugs.

Oh, all right. It sure looked like a sunken rib between two barrels.

The blurred bit in the foreground is the "gutter-sight" running along the top of the receiver. Its groove has milled ridges along it like the top strap of a Redhawk, presumably to avoid glare shining off it.

I don't know if you can get them there, but there are add-on sights held by screw, clamp, magnet or glue.

I'm not against using it, as it is. I think I looked at it and thought "woah! People hit a boar behind the shoulder at 50m with that sight?!"

I will say that shouldering the gun, the sights line up very naturally!

Shotgunners rely more on form and fit of the gun and less on sights.
Especially with fast running boar.
It's more like instinct shooting.

Sounds like I need to try a view shots to see how it feels and aims. If I can get a slug in the area of a target at 25-30m, it's a good place to start from, I guess.

There is this bolt on wire rectangle site that you might try. It will not obscure the bead and the rectangle frame helps with lead.

Back