Hornadys safe for 30-30 pump?

shooter43

I have a 30-30 Savage model 250 pump and want to know if it is safe to load the Hornady Leverevolution load in it because it has a tube mag just like a levergun. Would it get caught in the chamber or is it a safe load?

The whole "point" of the Leverevolution bullet was the pointed plastic tip giving it better in flight ballistics than conventional flat point bullets, whil still being safe in tubular magazines.

While I haven't personally shot any of this ammo, I understand the idea behind it. The "soft" (compared to the bullet) plastic tip won't detonate the primer of the round ahead of it in the magazine (like a "hard" pointed bullet could), will even deform slightly to absorb the energy from the recoil and the magazine spring, and then return to their pointed shape for maximum aerodynamic advantage.

Is it safe - absolutely. Would it get caught in the chamber - only a trial will tell you. I'm guessing it will be fine.

That being said however, you may or may not see good accuracy with them. I've seen some rifles that absolutely love them and some rifles (even the same model) that wouldn't shoot them worth crap. The only way to know is to give them a try.

Sorry, can't answer your question on the possible chamber issue. However, I don't think I have heard of anyone having feed issues with them.

Please let us know how they run if you do try. I would expect them to be fine.

Hi have shot hornady In my 170 and it shot fine the problem is the 170 will drop the next shell(they have a tendancy to do that anyways). But by all means try it it is safe let us know if you have any luck

Thanks for the input, I will sure try that out one day! If it works, it is just what i need for deer season this year.

I shoot Hornady LeveRevolution 160 gr FTX ammo in my Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 and it works just fine.
No problem with the chambering because the length even with the flex tip fits within the standard overall length and work fine in the feed mechanism.

The 160 GFX ammo is the most accurate ammo for my Marlin by almost 25%.

I have also tried the 140 gr MonoFlex LeveRevolution ammo and it shoots almost as well also. They are the top two ammos for my rifle.

They both shot so much better than the other ammos for the .30-30 that I tried that i bought the FTX and Monoflex bullets and am now loading my own.

Back