Hornady's American Whitetail

stagpanther

I continue to be amazed at the performance of this stuff. I've hand-loaded my ammo for all my rifles for a lot of years--but try as I might, I can't surpass the accuracy of Hornady's budget offering using their Interlock bullets. I just bought some in 270 win for my Ruger American (also an amazing budget offering IMO). After a few shots to zero the scope for the load--my 5 shot group at 100 was just under MOA--with 3 shots making one oblong hole. Haven't shot a deer with it yet--anyone comment on how well it has worked for them on deer?

I use that ammo in my 7mm08 and i gotta agree with you on accuracy. In my venture compact it shoots about .75 to an inch 4 shot groups at 100 yards. I killed 4 deer with that rifle last year and all but one doe which ran 20 yards dropped instantly. Whole insides were complete jelly. The 7 pointer i shot at about 75 yards died very quick but the bullet was found under the skin on opposite side. Im considering on using it for a rem 700 bdl .270 i just bought. Great ammo with great brass what more can one ask for.

It is usually the gun that is mediocre. When the big three loaded ammo for surplus guns (8x57, .303, 30-40, ect.) they only had one style of gun in mind and loaded accordingly. Even the 30-30 was more or less tied to the 94' Winchester with it's loads. A lot of Savage 340's were less than stellar until you reloaded 30-30 for them. There is really no such thing as an "All around" load. It is going to shoot bad in some styles of rifles. That is why some brands of box ammo will shoot great in your gun and others not so good. Usually not bad ammo, just not loaded for that gun.

I tried it out of my stainless Ruger 77 in 7/08 and wouldn't group for beans, but I did generate some good brass out of it. It is an individual thing with rifles and ammo.....some will like it and some won't. Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones.

"...can't surpass the accuracy of Hornady's budget offering..." Sometimes ya just get lucky. It's just an SP, same as any other SP. A Hornady 130 runs a bit slower than a Federal, but not enough to make any difference. SP's tend to be really good hunting bullets though.

In my 7mm mag, the interlock has been a deer killing machine. I have not used it in awhile, and I used Hornady custom ammo in 139 gr (15 yrs ago). I also could not duplicate the factory ammo speed, but could get the accuracy.

On another note, I had about 15 shells remaining from a 15 yr. old box. Each shot produced tight bolt lifts, and split the shoulder. Only shot it twice. Picked up some new cases, and it easily .75" at 100 with midrange loads from a couple of different powders. I am not chasing velocity anymore.

Well, my first box of AW was for my 300 wm savage 111--same thing--right out of the box budget stuff grouping sub-MOA.

I don't think it's the bullet--I think it's their powder wizardry.

I don't have any of the newest stuff but it was Hornady Custom with the Interlock bullets in 270 and 30-06 that got me to slow down quiet a bit with handloading. I'm fixing to try some of their new 6mm Rem ammo.

On the other hand...

Today I shot the same ammo at 300 yds and well, not as amazed. I'm sure my shooting had something to do with it--but I was using the same technique that I was getting sub MOA at 100.

5 shot group was about 7"--although 3 of the 5 were 3" apart.

400 yds with American Whitetail out of my savage 111 300wm. I knew the moment I pulled the trigger I pulled the shot on the lower left--even so still sub-MOA.

I switched my 3006 from fed premium 165 Sierra to the 150gr American whitetail. I have always had trouble getting my rem 7600 to group. Now I shoot respectable 2" 5 shot groups. Hope that I can give a review on what it does in a whitetail after tomorrow

I switched my 3006 from fed premium 165 Sierra to the 150gr American whitetail. I have always had trouble getting my rem 7600 to group. Now I shoot respectable 2" 5 shot groups. Hope that I can give a review on what it does in a whitetail after tomorrow
Your tactics suck"- Unknown
Good luck! I failed to tag out except for a doe which had been injured. The Interlock bullet is reportedly a time-proven deer-hammer though I haven't personally dropped a deer with one yet.

Back