Hornady Superformance ammo

kcub

Other than pricy why wouldn't you want the extra 100 - 200 fps?

Does it reliably cycle semi autos?

Downside?

I haven't tried it in semi's, but it is supposed to work with them according to Hornady's advertising.

I tried a couple of boxes right after it came out in both 308 and 30-06 with mixed results. Both loads were faster than common factory loads, but short of advertised speeds.

The 165 gr loads from one of my 30-06 rifles were not acceptably accurate. They were advertised at 2950 fps, and I got 2900, which is exactly what I get with my hand loads and with much better accuracy.

The 150's I tried in my 308 were much better. Advertised speed was 3000 fps, I got about 2950 and with very good accuracy. Just as accurate as my hand loads and still about 50 fps faster than my best loads.

Compared to many other premium loads the price isn't that bad. I'd give them a try if I shot factory loads. I'd shoot them with confidence in my 308 and maybe I just got a bad box in 30-06. But since I hand load I haven't given them much more thought.

I've used Hornady LightMag(the older version of Superformance) in 7x57 and 257 Roberts. The 7x57 worked pretty well but the 257 not so much. I don't think it was the overall ammo as much as my little carbine just didn't like the heavier 117 grain bullets(it's pretty much a 100 grain bullet rifle).
I think you will see more improved performance with calibers that are traditionally under loaded by the domestic ammo makers such as 257R, 6.5x55, 7x57, and such.

The 165(non-SST or GMX) is the same muzzle velocity as .30 M2 and .30 AP at 2800 fps. The 168 alleged "Garand ammo" is 100 FPS too slow. It's .30 M1 velocity(2700 fps). So is the 180. So there is no extra 100 - 200 fps.
Mind you, Hornady's site gives different MV's for the same bullet on different pages.
No reason any of it would not cycle a semi reliably though.

I've used the earlier 180 gr Light Magnums in 30-06 and they were very accurate in my bolt action rifle. They are still my go to elk load. Light Magnums were not supposed to be used in gas semiautos, Superformance loads also warn against it.

I use the 165s in my remington 700 with great accuracy. Cant wait to level bambi this November with them. I scooped up 8 boxes at dicks on sale for 22 bucks a box!! Saved me about 10 dollars a box. Couldnt pass it up.

The only Superformance load that I've tried is now one of their most highly praised: .444 Marlin 265 gr FP

It's the fastest 265 gr factory load. (2,400 fps)
It has the best 'bang-for-your-buck' bullet on the market. (265 gr FP Interlock)
It's suitable for any North American animal.
And it's generally very consistent in most rifles.

When new .444 owners ask what they should try, when they want instant gratification from a good factory load that's good for "everything", or has the highest muzzle velocity, or has the best bullet, there is only the one answer: Hornady Superformance.

I'm a die-hard reloader. But even I am enough of a fan of that Superformance load that I buy it (in bulk, if possible) when the price is right.

For cheaper ammo... Sure, go buy the Remington 240 gr stuff. It'll work. Just not as well. :D

I never had any consistancy in any rifle I tried Superformance ammo...270, 3006, 2506, 7 mm rem mag, .243....all I got was flat primers and scattergun groups....I got some brass for my handloads also.

Back