Hornady Soft Points

GeauxTide

I have some pre-Interlock 308 150gr spitzers that are more than 40 years old. I opened the factory seals and noticed that the exposed lead tips were oxidized. They've been kept in an air-conditioned environment, so was wondering if they should be relegated to paper instead of game.

I would imagine they’d be fine but with the low cost of newer bullets with superior weight retention I’d opt to use those for practice then get some new interlocks for game.

The lead oxide is hazardous to ingest, so either clean it off carefully or relegate the bullets to practice, as suggested by Ike.

That oxide is also abrasive. It won't do anything to your barrel because the tip doesn't touch the bore, but it may mark your feed ramp a little if you shoot enough of them from the magazine. I've heard of precision airgun barrels being worn and damaged by pellets that were oxidized and of oxidized 22s causing grief to throats, but in both of those cases, the oxide does rub the bore, and the barrel steel is on the soft side.

Oak is 1 wood, there may be others, that will off-gas something that will oxidize lead with a white coating, if they were stored in a wooden cabinet at some time.
May years ago I built a custom oak carrying case for a 30-06 Mauser used for deer hunting in Pennsylvania with a place for a couple boxes of ammo. I was using cast bullets at times and had some left in the case. The bullet surfaces turned white after a time. Didn't seem to cause any problems, but I missed the silvery finish.

NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle

Back