Hornady progressive with 30-06, problems...

Shadow9mm

So you are supposed to be able to load 30-06 on the Hornady Lock-n-load progressive press. However The shell holder is not advancing far enough fast enough. The casings are hitting the dies, trying to start at an angle, and not wanting to go in straight.

Am I missing something?

Go to highboy video on YouTube and set your pawl timing, in fact go from scratch and do all that pertain to you. It seems you have timing and setting issues mate,

Thewelshm

I plan to today, but again, I don't think this is the problem. The casings line up fine once the shell plate rotates into place. the problem I am having is it that 30-06 is so long, it is hitting the dies before the shell plate can fully rotate into place. If I start to pull the lever then manually rotate the shell plate until it drops into the detent it goes straight up into the dies.

I plan to today, but again, I don't think this is the problem. The casings line up fine once the shell plate rotates into place. the problem I am having is it that 30-06 is so long, it is hitting the dies before the shell plate can fully rotate into place. If I start to pull the lever then manually rotate the shell plate until it drops into the detent it goes straight up into the dies.
reset ball bearings in shell plate mate, look up drainsmith on
"The High Road Forum"

thewelshm

I don't have one, so I can't say for sure, but it seems that the "auto index" feature isn't correctly adjusted for .30-06 length cases.

I have used a Dillon progressive for rifle cases, (manual advance only) but disliked it and stopped using it because with all the operations happening at the same time, it lost the "feel" I was used to, which would tell me if something was wrong, and allow me to stop before damaging or destroying a case, primer or bullet.

Good Luck, it should be a minor adjustment to fix it, I would think. Contact the maker and ask.

I have a full inch of travel above a 30-06 case and below the sizing die, before the shell plate starts to turn.
You said the cases aren't clearing dies, I don't know how that could be.

I can see a long seated bullet not wanting to clear the seating die, under some extreme case.
I agree with T.Oheir, call Hornady and see what they say.
Something is really wrong with your press or your set up.
When you set up your dies, did you put the ram up and screw the resizing die in until it touched the shell plate or did you screw it in much further. Screw it back out and clear off the top of the press, then put the ram up as far as it will go and screw the resizing die down until it just touches the shell plate. That should give you the same inch of space between the bottom of the die to the top of the case before the shell plate starts to turn, that I have.
Then set your other dies by constantly checking that the resizing die is still touching your shell plate.
If that doesn't help, call Hornady

Just do what I do... bump the shellplate up with your finger to the detent. .30-06 cases are tall... almost too tall to index properly, and not catch on the bottom of a die.

Back