Hornady Lock N load issues

kgpcr

I love the progressive press but i hate the Lock N Load bushing thing with a passion. is there a way to convert it back to standard threads and do away with the bushings? Thanks for your help!

Leave the Lock-N-load bushing in place, and just screw the dies in and out. If the bushing moves too easily, you can Loctite it.

See if the RCBS inserts will work since the new RCBS can do LNL bushings using standard dies or standard dies in the press directly. If the threads are the same you will be in luck. The female LNL parts screw out but you may need to weld a handle on a bushing to get them out.

Correct I believe the RCBS will fit however , may I ask what you don’t like about the system specifically ? And are you talking specifically the AP press

Not the OP but I’m guessing he doesn’t like the sloppiness of them and they are kinda sloppy but they are still repeatable. And yes, he’s talking about the AP.

I was hoping I was correct about the rcbs bushing inserts working, that’s great to know for future reference.

Fwiw I was talking it works on the single stage . the AP looks different more stream lined not sure if at has the same thread

There is also a flange at the top of the insert that works as a stop . Even if it’s the right threads the flange may make it a tight fit on that small tool head between each station

There’s a flange on the hornady inserts as well! If the rcbs insert is larger it wouldn’t take much for a machine shop to take some off of them to the diameter of the recess on the LNL AP. Hell you could probably do it in a drill with a file honestly, it’s not critical as long as it fits the AP recess.

Just got reacquainted with my Hornady ammo plant and one issue that I had was seeing the powder measure die wiggle up and down while cycling. My remedy was to select a slightly thicker o-ring for the lock n load die and that worked perfectly. Now it locks in tighter and no wiggle while cycling the press.

kgpcr said:
I love the progressive press but i hate the Lock N Load bushing thing with a passion. is there a way to convert it back to standard threads and do away with the bushings? Thanks for your help!

:confused: Don’t fight it. It’s not worth your effort. It works, it’s easy, it makes good ammo. Can you explain what is not to like about that? :confused:

It could be worse….it could be a wobble plate like the Dillon?:eek: Hiding from the Dillon fanboys!:D

Back