Hornady light mag, accelerated barrel wear?

Ldoll

I was thinking of trying these rounds in my .308 for accuracy and more power and sticking with them if it works.

I fire a slow rate of fire and clean the bore between five and ten shots. The barrel is a factory stainless fluted winchester barrel with a 1 in 12 twist(26" bbl).

I can't tell you about the 308 but in my 270..the customs are all I have shot since they became available. I don't know how many rounds.....a bunch...I clean every 6-10. My bbl looks great.

Performance is super....I use their 140gr 270 to hunt with and I practice lot.

"sigle shot shooters only shoot once"

Huntschool

I started to shoot the .257 Light Mags in my Model 70 Featherweight and have not noticed any increased wear after almost 200 rounds. The worst thing about these rounds is finding them available and at a reasonable price! :)

In 308 Win these "hotter" rounds should not harm your barrel in any way (same for the Federal High Energy, etc)

Where the barrel throat gets damaged is with the big boomers that are pushing case capacity to the max.

Personal experience: With both my Winchester 308 & Remington 700 VLS in 308, When using Light Mag.s or High Energy I give up a considerable amount of accuracy over their std. velocity "Premuim" Ammo.
Example: out of the 700, Federal's "Premium" 180gr Nosler Partition load gives me 1 to 1-1/4 inch group, but when I tried Same bullet in the "High Energy" the groups aproached (& sometimes passed) 2 inches.

Gun info: The 700 (Like the Winchester) is a 1:12 twist (26" heavy barrel) and will shoot the 165 & 168gr Sierra bullets to 1/2" at 100 yards all day long.

Back