Hornady Leverolution 325 gr 45-70.

trobin

Yesterday afternoon I shot a 180 lb buck with this bullet from a CVA Elite Stalker. This is the 5th deer I kill with the combo but only bullet I recover. Shot was roughly 30-40 yards. I was elevated 15 ft. Point of impact was middle of rib cage while exit was just past the rib cage on opposite side. Bullet traveled between the skin and belly coming to rest between the hide and hind quarter. The bullet simply fell out while skinning the deer. Once home and washed I weighed the bullet. To my surprise it weighed in at 246.1 gr. That's 75% retention weight on a near muzzle velocity shot.

I really like the Leverevolution in my .35, but stick with the flat nose 350 grain loads in my .450. I hear too many iffy things on the gummy in the.450, and the 350gr interlock is a good bullet.

I reload the 325 grain Hornady bullets. They work well on deer. I mostly shoot those, 500 grain subsonic loads and medium velocity 405 grain cast loads.

But I am a huge 45-70 fan boy!

There are Leverevalution in 357 magnum as well but I have not been impressed with them.

I hear that the 30-30 are outstanding

Back