Hornady Lever-Evolution in Marlin 336

Nine the Ranger

My Dad grabbed a box of this for me, but I've also read that some models need to be modified to use the ammo effectivly (somthing about the tip bending in the tube)

So.I ask, does the 336 need to be modified? Or is a false rumor?

I have a 336 and hand load that round for my rifle. I have never had any problems with it or had to modify my rifle in any way.

The problem with the 336 and LeverEvolution was that the magazine tube for both the .35 and the 30-30 was the same tube. Because the 30-30 has a slightly smaller case diameter the cartridges had room to wiggle inside the tube. The point on one bullet would have enough room to jam against the case head of the bullet in front of it. Marlin's solution was to change the magazine follower so that the bullet on top couldn't wiggle. At some point in time they made the new follower a standard component.

So, it might behoove you to do some Googling to see what the new follower looks like and see if yours is the old one or the new one. If you have the old style follower, it is supposed to be an easy change.

If it causes you problems, load A standard round in the tube first, followed by the gummy tips. then order A new follower.

Back