Hornady Interlock for elk?

elrotundamundo

I hunt elk in the Idaho panhandle where the timber is thick and the ranges short. Last fall I killed a medium sized cow with my new Mossberg .270 with a Nosler 140 grain Accubond and was very satisfied with the bullet performance. It took the top off the heart and broke the off-side leg.

This fall I would like to use my scoped Mosin-Nagant 7.62 X 54R and an accurate (1 3/8" 100 yard group) handload I worked up which uses a 150 grain, .312 diameter Hornady Interlock at 2800 FPS. Since the bore slugs at .312, bullet selection is fairly limited. Does anyone have experience with this bullet on elk? The cow season was eliminated this year, so it would be used on a bull if I get an opportunity.

I really want to take an animal with the Mosin. Is this bullet up to the task or should I save it for deer and use the .270 for my elk hunt?

I too hunt elk in the Idaho panhandle with a rifle that uses .312 diam. bullets. I use the Hornady Interlock 174gr round nose at about 25-2600 fps with good results (dead elk and deer). The Interlock bullets have always worked well for me in different calibers and I see no reason why your load would not work.
Good luck. It's too bad we will have no cow season up here this year.

Keep the shots reasonable and I think you'll do fine. Regardless of what a lot of people will tell you elk aren't bullet proof. I'd prefer the .270 over lugging around a heavy military rifle, but the cartridge is more than adequate.

My son has taken 2 elk with his Marlin lever gun in 35 Remington. None got away. He hunts with Remington core-lokt ammo which is similar to the Interlock design.

Jack

bullelkCusterCounty-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I believe there's no set way to hunt elk and no set caliber to do it with. It varies by environment and shooter of course. I know those that swear by a 30-30 for close range broadside elk but that's not me.

we hunt cows for meat here and I started with the remy corelocts and ended up with nosler partitions...........they all work but some are better than others for penetration at close range with a 180 or 200 grain 30-06.

but I'm sold on noslers. Have not used the hornadys. I may use a 45-70 or a .308 this year. But my go to rifle is a 30-06 remy 700 bdl with a 180 grain nosler at the helm.............I don't shoot elk at over 100 yards

Back