Hornady .357 Magnum 135gr Critical Duty FTX in Clear Ballistics Gel.

5pins

xRC3b97l.jpg

Test Gun: Smith and Wesson model 65.

Barrel length: 3 inches.

Ammunition: Hornady .357 Magnum 135gr Critical Duty FTX.

Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.

Distance: 10 feet.

Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.

Five shot velocity average: 1227fps.

Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

After trying out the Hornady CD 135gr 9mm non +P I have to admit I wasn’t very impressed and thought to myself that I probably not try any Critical Duty again. But all that was replaced when the FBI announced recently that it had pick the 135gr +P version in 9mm. If the FBI picked it how bad could it be? Maybe the non +P is just the one bad apple in the line (which is what I suspect) and maybe I should give the +P version a try. So I ordered some and will be trying it out soon. Until then, a coworker gave me some of the 135gr in .357 to try and I will have to say it performed much better.

I have started to start shooting five rounds over the chronograph for an average and shoot it at 7 yards for point of aim. In this case, I got a five shot average of 1227 and the group was hitting low by about one inch. In the picture, you will see the group at the bottom of number 6 but I was aiming at number 3.

AdwpT0Ml.jpg

The first round into the bear gel had a velocity of 1224fps and penetrated to 17.25 inches with an expansion of .52 inches. Round two also expanded to .52 inches but only penetrated to 16.5 inches with a velocity of 1215fps. Both bullets tumbled at some point and came to a rest base forward.

hsnc96xl.jpg

The first round in the heavy clothing covered gel hit at a velocity of 1214fps and penetrated to 19.5 inches with an expansion of .47 inches. Number two’s velocity was 1224fps and it expanded to with a penetrating of 18 inches. The first round came to rest base forward but the second one did not tumble and stayed front forward.

UO2Mh7Il.jpg

The recovered weight of all the bullets was 135grs with the plug.

VYdm7h2l.jpg

Kind of mild for a .357 but not bad. Should perform at 1300+ FPS from a 4" bbl.

Not sure of the whole "duty" nomenclature. VERY few officers carry a .357 revolver on duty these days. If they do it would be a snub as a BUG.

While I like the expansion of Hornadys CD FTX rounds in water, I had serious setback problems with 2 boxes of .40 S&W and 45 ACP. Fully 30% of them set back into the case on the 2nd clambering. I do reload for both calibers and managed to get a better crimp on the bullets, but I don’t trust them at this point right out of the box.
Conversely, .380 rounds had no setback problems.
Did you have any problem with setback with any of the 9 mm rounds you have tested?
Best regards Rod

After seeing how they performed yesterday I decided to give them the four layers of denim challenge. I have seen numerous bullets perform well in bare and heavy clothing only to fail the FLD test. I didn’t set up the chrony for this test so no velocity reading this time. The first round penetrated to 21.5 inches and expanded to .41 inches. Round tow exited the right side block at about the 20-inch mark and was found on the floor. It had expanded to .44 inches. Since the second round left the block I decided to shoot a third. It penetrated to 17.75 inches and expanded to .49 inches.

Ot3HwMZl.jpg

While I like the expansion of Hornadys CD FTX rounds in water, I had serious setback problems with 2 boxes of .40 S&W and 45 ACP. Fully 30% of them set back into the case on the 2nd clambering. I do reload for both calibers and managed to get a better crimp on the bullets, but I don’t trust them at this point right out of the box.
Conversely, .380 rounds had no setback problems.
Did you have any problem with setback with any of the 9 mm rounds you have tested?
Best regards Rod

No, I didn't.

Back