Hornady #31 Shellplate for 45 Auto Rim

1874Sharps

I have been reloading 45 Auto Rim on my single stage press and would like to get a shell plate for my Hornady AP press to speed up production. It looks like hornady discontinued the #31 shell plate a few years ago. Does anyone know where one could be located?
Has anyone ever modified a #32 45 Colt shell plate to work? The 45 Auto rim brass is the same diameter as the 45 Colt with a thicker rim.

Thanks,
Mike

Midway has the #31 shell hoder in stock for a single stage press, but nothing for the #31 Shell plate for the progressive press.

There's a place dba Reloading Direct (reloadingdirect.co.nz) that says they have one in stock. The price is a bit steep, IMHO, and they're in New Zealand so the shipping is likely to be even steeper, but if ya gotta have it and feel lucky. . .

I looked up the 45 Auto Rim in the Hornady Essentials Chart, and in place of #31 the plate designation is 554. There is no 554 plate listed in the plate table, but the table has a header note stating custom plates are available, so you can contact Hornady (800-338-3220) about having one made. Perhaps the 554 designation refers to their drawing for the plate for 45 Auto Rim. At least it isn't showing a horizontal line, like for 25 Auto or other cartridges they can't make a plate for at all.

Back