Hornady .224 (223) 62 Grain BTHP?

tank1949

I have only seen one web site selling these. Even Hornady web page doesn't list them. Anyone uses them and where did you get them??? Since I have only found one vender, perhaps Hornady discontinued them???????? I just purchased a pound of AR Comp and wanted to try it with 62 grain BTHP.

"...Hornady web page doesn't list them..." Hornady shows a 62 grain, .224", HPBT, FMJ under their "Traditional" brand.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-.224-62-gr-fmj#!/
"...A simple Google search..." Yeah. snicker. $141.99 per 1100 at Midway. $522.99 per 5500. $448.99 per 5500 at Graf's. Pays to shop around. "One flat fee of $9.95 per online order." at Graf's.
It's best to buy components locally though. Shipping will kill any cost savings found on-line.

I found Midsouth too. THX!!! That was one I mentioned in first post. But, that is the only site. Weird!!!!! I don't know anything about these bullets. Hornady web site doesn't list them at all or perhaps I am getting too old at finding stuff.

I have a lot of SS109 bullets loaded. Horrible accuracy but good at penetrating. I wanted a 62 grain that was accurate too. THX!

I don't see them on Hornady's site, either. The ones at Midsouth may be old stock if the bullet is discontinued. Usually, bullets with crimp cannelures are less accurate than versions without a cannelure because it is very hard to form a cannelure without distorting the bullet some. But that cannelure is pretty far forward along the bearing surface, so I don't think it will have much effect. They are pretty certain to shoot much better than military penetrator bullets.

If you want a high accuracy bullet, you can try the 60-grain Sierra Tipped MatchKing as being close to your weight. Berger used to make a 62-grain flat base bullet, I think, but I no longer see it.

The Hornady 62 hr BTHP bullets are available only through Mid-South Shooters Supply (and in factory loaded Frontier ammo). According to Hornady, these are hunting bullets, and designed to expand and give good performance on critters appropriate to the .223/5.56 cartridge. (You and your state regulations decide what critters that includes). I have purchased over 3000 of them and they have proven very accurate and have performed well on coyotes out past 200 yards for my son. I recommend them for .223/5.56 with 1 in 9" or faster twist rates. A 1 in 12" twist may or may not be enough to stabilize them, but my 1 in 7", 1 in 8" and 1 in 9" AR's all shoot them well. My 1 in 12" 26" barrel Rem. shoots them OK in warm temperatures, but not in freezing temps.
For 10 cent bullets, you can't beat them.

Back