Hornady 168g otm for 1000?

Shadow9mm

Grabbed 200 of these on a whim a couple months back for 308/ 30-06. I heard there were some stability issues with the 168g SMKs past 700 due to the base angle if I understood right. Anyone used these at 1000? Don't want to waste bullets.

The stability problem with the 168-SMK in the transonic range is a dynamic instability that is thought to be due mostly to its 13° boattail angle and the common rates of twist used in .308 bullets. Long-range bullets typically use 8° or 9° boattails. I know someone who has got the 168-SMK's to go to 1000 yards, but was using a cut-down Palma barrel with either a 13" or a 13.5" twist and had zero wind conditions. Faster spin and strong winds seem to be part of the problem the 13° boattail has with transonic velocities.

The Hornady 168-grain open tip match bullet is Hornady's competition for the Sierra design and has the same 13° boattail. However, it has a longer bearing surface and uses a larger ogive radius according to Bryan Litz's measurements, so whether or not it will have exactly the same stability issue at the same velocities or not, I can't say to a certainty. But I would not count on it doing well without testing it. If you can get an 800-yard target and try them out when you have a cross-wind, that will tell the tale. All my attempts with the Sierra in those conditions were turning in keyholes and wouldn't stay on the paper of the standard NRA long range target.

Unclenick nailed it.

One can experiment if you have spare primer and powder to burn. Otherwise I'd save them for 600 yards and in.

I use such bullets for rough sight in and to settle a new, or newly cleaned barrel. Same with the 150 grain 6.5s I picked up for next to nothing. Breaking in a new 6.5 with them, and 300 yards and in practice.

If you shoot them out at least 2700 fps, they may be okay at 1000 in warm weather.

Last edited:
Ok, that's kinda what I suspected. I will keep them for my 500yd work. Hopefully the new 169g smks will come back in stock soon.

Back