Horizontal mag pouches?

Justin

Ok, we've all seen the mag pouches like the ones made by Blade-Tech:

mgp_sm.jpg

There are also a number of other companies that make similar products.
However, out of all of them I don't think that any of them make one that can be worn in a horizontal position.
Now, I can understand the practicality of the vertical ones if you are a Law Enforcement Officer, because you are going to be carrying a lot of stuff other than just a spare magazine, and you need that space for your cuffs, flashlight, pepper spray, etc.

However, for us average Joes, why isn't there a mag pouch that clips onto your belt in a horizontal position?

I think that such a pouch would be more comfortable to wear, and easier to conceal than the vertical rigs.

Any thoughts?

Hmm... unless my memory is failing me, I have seen LEOs with units holding two mags, one above another, in a horizontal position on the bat belt. Just wish I could remember where now...

Many of the LEOs here wear those 2x horizontal carriers. I thought it was because that even two mags horizontal were shorter than a vertical pouch, and likely to be more comfortable spending most of the day in a patrol car.

Safariland makes a horizontal single carrier that attaches with a Velcro wrap around the belt. Easy on-off, less poke in the short ribs when you sit, if worn a bit to the front.

I have no trouble with the conventional style, worn well to the side. It is shorter than the holster and gun on the other side, after all.

Most of the duty gear I've seen have slots that allow the mag holder to be worn in either direction or even upside down. It all depends on an officer's preference.

As far as CCW stuff - the same applies to holders with flaps that cover the top of the mag. This style may not have the ability to turn to the side or upside down becasue the mags would then be in danger of falling out. Just shop around, I'm sure there are others which will turn...

Easier to conceal? I disagree. Wearing any mag carrier, you need to have a cover garment. The easiest way to flash is when your cover garment opens at the front and you are reaching into a pocket. The closer your magazine and pouch are to your centerline, the easier it is to flash. A horizontal mag carrier takes up more room horizontally, so it is closer to your centerline, thus easier to flash.

M1911

horizontal is great for two reasons.....

if you're a little paunchy, they don't dig into the skin

and they are easier on jacket liners if your mag plates are bit sharp

i'd like one too if anyone makes one

I have a Blade-Tech mag holder like the one pictured above. The Tek-Lok has a lot of mounting holes, so the holder can be oriented vertically, horizontally, or upside-down by simply unscrewing the two tension screws. I just converted mine to horizontal, and it is more comfortable when sitting, but it also sticks out to the side and is harder to conceal. I also tend to clip my cellphone in front of the mag pouch, so I prefer vertical carry.

On duty horizontal carry is mostly a speed-of-access thing. Some people like to draw the mags out sideways, and its also easier to get mags out of a mag carrier when crouched over if the carrier is horizontal.

On the downside, it takes up a gawdawful lot of space on the Bat Belt (:D), and I had the unfortunate experience of having the black coloring rub off on my white uniform shirts, causing them to rapidly become unsightly. I switched to vertical carry.

Mike

But doesn't more of the mag touch the shirt in vertical carry.....
Yes, but it is easier for the shirt/armor/belly combo to push the vertical-carry mag pouch forward without it scuffing the shirt (or digging into the gut). The carrier naturally wants to bend that way and the finished outer surfaces are what is in contact with shirt. In horizontal carry the carrier is much more rigid and the unfinished (but still dyed) edges of the leather are rubbing up and down constantly against the abdomen, and it makes those lovely white, pressed Flying Cross shirts we all wear look kinda dingy.

Mike

PS First guy that says I just need to lay off the donuts gets a boot to the head. :p

I have a couple of single mag pouches from Sidearmor that can be worn vertical or horizontal. They are pretty nice. I think they only make them for Glocks and 1911's.

Back