Hoppes 9 for black powder?? *short answer: yes and no*

Andy Griffith

Look at this pic, and read the label:

hoppes2_zps2xxftlkj.jpg

This stuff is somewhat thick and a bit reddish in color, and smells a bit dfferent than new Hoppes.
I am certain it contains some good old benzene, and may be why it eats plastic! ;)
Wish I knew the exact age of this one.
Input appreciated!

Good question. I bought this bottle about 30 years ago before I discovered how well hot water works. Does Hoppe's still make it?

2ut2mop.jpg

Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic No.77 works great too, comes in a nice squirt bottle too so it's easy to put on patches. Works on Black Powder and Corrosive Ammo.

Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic No.77 works great too, comes in a nice squirt bottle too so it's easy to put on patches.

+1. This and Balistol is what I use on C&Bs. The Hoppe's #9 Plus is used as patch lube and cleaning so
lvent on the single shots.

Hoppes 9 will do a pretty good job, but without water, all traces of black powder wont be dissolved. There are salts in black powder, and water will dissolve them. also dont use any lubricants with petrolum in them as it will cause the powder residues to turn into a thick gunk, (3 in 1 oil, barrel blaster, and others) use soapy water or ballistol and water with ballistol for a lubricant.

so in short, No, hoppes will not clean all traces of black powder

check this video out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtMkLGdZA4
at 13 minutes into the vid he talks about useing pure oil vs water

Original Hoppes #9 that was bottled prior the The Great War will also remove bp residue. :D

Formulation has changed a lot over the years.

Back