Hoplophobia in grand form

jimpeel

It seems that the people who run the polls don't know the regulations concerning the bearing of arms at polling places.

This sworn, uniformed officer was denied the right to vote because he refused to do what no officer would ever do -- surrender his firearm.

There is a poll at the article which asks if those bearing arms should be allowed to vote. This could have the same effect on any one of us if we were to encounter some misinformed, overzealous hoplophobe at our precinct voting station.

SOURCE

You will have to go to the article and read it because one paragraph would be nonsensical.

This part of the story ...

Dunlap said Monday that state law allows a warden broad latitude of authority over polling places. However, no state or federal law exists that prohibits police officers — or anyone else, for that matter — from bringing guns to a polling place.

posits an interesting question.

What if the polling place is at a school as mine is? The door to where we vote is open and the rest of the doors are locked. The area where voting occurs is taped off from the school proper. So as long as one does not violate the restraint, is one in a polling place which is in a school; or is one in a school which happens to contain a polling place?

While it may be violative of the law to be in a school with a firearm, which is codified law, would it be a violation to be in a polling place which is a constitutionally protected right?

The above is purely speculative and rhetorical as I know of no one, including myself, who would be willing to expend the amount of time and treasure to find out the answers.

In NY schools are closed, and now that I live in CS I noticed schools are also closed. I assumed it was the same in all states.

PS it really should not matter with the case in question because a LEO is allowed to carry in a school

I am betting that "school grounds" are not different if it is for use as a voting precinct location... but that is just my take on it...

IMHO, the square footage used as a voting location isn't "de-commissioned" as a schooling spot just for the voting day.

Brent

Like I said, it would cost a fortune to challenge and the odds would be stacked against the challenger from the get go.

Its just flat out idiocy to tell an LEO he can't vote if he's pack'n heat. Stupidity had reached a new height (or is it a new low?).:mad:

School "grounds" are school grounds, whether school is in session or not. If I were on school property with a firearm at 3:00 a.m., or during the midst of Christmas break with no students, faculty or staff in the building and the doors locked, I would still be charged with having a firearm on school grounds. I don't think that changes if the gymnasium or cafeteria is used for a polling place.

I heard about this on Drudge a short while after it hit the wires. IMO it was a warden who was overzealous and let his head get a little too big

Personally, i believe that it must be school security and students and teachers not to be allowed to carry arms, at least not concealed. There are many reasons i can think of that and for me it makes sense...

But in a voting day? And he was a Police Chief? Going to vote as he had to do as a Citizen? That's ridiculous. Police Officers must keep their guns at all times. Specially when they enter a school to vote. Who they threaten anyway?

Even here the police officers are able to enter the school for voting with their guns and uniforms. Schools are voting centers for these days, so there is no asylum to keep the officers out.

But as i said before, is a good idea that students won't be allowed to carry guns in school as they can't bring mobile phones or marijuana, or everything else a student must not bring in school. But for parents and police officers in the days the school is open, or voters on voting days, there is no reason not to allow them to vote while carrying their guns. What is the reason for that anyway?

Maybe they will not find toilet paper and start shooting...?

Back