Hoplite and S&W Mod. 66's

henryj

Inactive
Hoplite is listing S&W Mod. 66's in the low $200's, wholesale. Anybody know anything about Hoplite or this crop of used Smith's. I've got a hard-core "I want" for a good 4" adj. site, med frame .357, and, if these are "shot a little, carried a lot" police turn-ins, it looks like a good deal. My "I want" is strong enough to offer my 1911-A1 as trade goods for the right .357.

Henry

henryj,

Depending upon condition, this could be a good price for a used M66. My dealer has one on his wall which I want. However, he talked me into a nice but worn Model 15 today. Since this is the handgun I learned to shoot with during my Air Force days, I figured I could not pass it up at $100.

He is asking $295 for the M66 but would probably give it to me for $250. His prices are a little above average, but his guns are also a LOT above average.

I just bought a Lew Horton modified 3" M66 from him for $200 which is an excellent shooter! So I am gonna have to see what I can part with to make this trade. I really like S&W K-frames and seem to be buying enough older models to last me for the rest of my life...and my son's life!

I really have no knowledge of Hoplite, but unless someone can say they are a problem, I would go for it.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

FPrice, it sounds like you've gotten TWO

smokin' good deals from that dealer already. Particularly the LH M66 in 3". That's a simply unheard of price. Was its condition that of a well-worn plowshare?:)

Henryj, the $200 deal you describe doesn't sound too bad. I'm not sure about Hoplite as a distributor, which is one thing you wish to know. I do know that if you trade most ANY 1911 on such a gun, YOU should be getting some CASH BACK on the transaction.:D

VictorLouis

It was in at least 95% condition or better! And it shoots like a dream. PMC 158 Soft Point Magnum loads feel great in it.

Revolvers do not seem to be moving here at all lately. And we are litereally in S&W's backyard, so supply may be greater than the demand. And as long as it is, I intend to purchase every good, inexpensive gun I can.

You also have to realize that I am one of about half a dozen people who are steady customers of this guy. He sells a lot, but there is a small dedicated clientel who keep coming back and as a result, we get the first choice on good deals.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Hey Frosty,

If you come across another 3in 66 (or a 19 for that matter) drop me a line. I've been looking for one for a while.

Buzz...

I could not help myself. I went back and put that M66 on layaway. My dealer dropped the price to $265 (and the $20 state transfer tax).

Revolvers are not moving here lately, although state-compliant semi-autos are at a premium. Some nice examples have come out lately and I have been fortunate enough to be on the scene and able to get them.

3" revolvers are really scarce, but if I see one (that I don't take!) I'll let you know.

Say, you are in Tennessee. Do you know anything about Hoplite? They seem to have some good product and some good prices.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Hoplite is in Kentucky so I haven't had the chance to stop by, assuming they have a retail store. But, the prices look good and I haven't ever heard anything. I may have to try them myself.

I had to pay double what Frosty did for a 3" model 66 that I just bought. The 3 inchers command a premium, and I am sure that I payed top dollar, but I got the gun I wanted! Clemson

Hoplite is a small business about 20 miles south of Louisville, Ky. I called them and the gentleman that answered said that they do not have a storefront and do not sell over-the-counter to the public. They are a distributer.

high_caliber,

Thanks for the info on Hoplite. I kinda thought they were a distributor but it is nice to have that confirmed. Their ad in SGN has some nice items and some good prices. The question is what your local dealer will add on.

buzz_knox,

Sorry for the confusion between Tennessee and Kentucky. Chalk it up to a poor public school education in the North!

Clemson,

I will be the first to admit that I got a real bargain here. I can only speculate that the current market here is working in my favor as a buyer.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

I have made two purchases from Hoplite but none within the last two years.
In each case the product was as described; promptly shipped; no games; no problems.
I would purchase from Hoplite again.
Hope that helps.

FPrice, I'm glad to see there are other good-hearted dealers out there.:) I've got one really honest-Joe here that's taken good care of me more than once.

Buzz, I'll keep my eye out for another for you.:)

Back