Hopkins & Allen ????

WoolSocks

I was visiting a friend who has an old wheelgun that he reciently inherited. It is marked as an Hopkins & Allen Arms and appears to be .38 something, but the cylinder is shorter than a .38 spl. The gun breaks at the cylinder and the opening action automatically ejects th spent brass. The gun also has a model name on the top part of the gun, but it is difficult to read due to the wear of the gun. I believe it says Safety Police, but I am sure that it says ___ety Police. Any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Hopkins & Allen was a manufacturer of low-cost, relatively low quality revolvers from around the 1880s to the early 1900s, when they either went belly up or were absorbed by another company.

Essentially, your gun could either be a .38 rimfire of some type, or a centerfire in .38 Short Colt or .38 S&W.

Value is pretty much nothing.

If the gun is center fire, it is without much doubt chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge. The safety referred to is the system used by H&A to prevent firing if the gun is dropped on the hammer. Operate the trigger slowly and watch the hammer.

Jim

Back