hooray, hooray, we are approving the H&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootist16

As many of you know from my previous posts I am looking for a new duty pistol. My dept is limted to Sig, Beretta, S&W, and Glock. They issue Glock. I just found out today that the H&K USP is about to be approved. We tried to approve it before, but our old armorer didn't like it. He thought it had too many "bells and whistles". He has since retired and our new armorer sees things differently. We are getting a USP from H&K to test approve. We are also looking at approving the para ordinance p-18. I am going to hold off on purchasing a new pistol until this additions are made. I already have a USP so if it gets approved I am set. Hooray!!!!!! :)

------------------
-Dennis

Congratulations Dennis. May your old armorer enjoy years of retirement and may the new one enjoy years of service.

God how I hate it when folks get fixed in their ways and refuse even to weigh new stuff on its merits. Then again, there was a saying when I was young(er) that went, "If you put a price tag on it, a cop will buy it."

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I agree gary. Us police sure like our toys. I also hate when someone is so set in their ways that they wont objectively look at things. I never could figure out the "too many bells and whistles" statement. My dept issues Glocks, so it couldn't be the polymer frame. Berettas are approved that have a safety, and Sig's are approved that have a decocker. There are no more bells and whistles than other pistols that are approved for carry. And the H&K is a fine pistol. It has all the features I like in a pistol. I've not messed with the p-18 yet but I hear alot of positive things about it.

Now, if we could just get our law dept to let us have something bigger than 9mm.....

------------------
-Dennis

Shootist- you are fortunate that your department allows you a broad spectrum of firearms to choose from; this certainly eliminates grumbling from within the ranks. The officers in my department were saddled with the S&W 5900 series for over 10 years before a change in chiefs brought about a new duty pistol. We (firearms instructors) lobbied for giving officers a choice, but the chief wanted only one handgun system. We did a several month study on pistols and received T&E pistols from all of the major manufacturers. The vast majority of officers liked the USP series after firing them at the range. We have had great success with the USP since transitioning to it three years ago. We are allowed to choose full-size or compact, 9 or .40, and decock only or decock/safety.

Just out of curiosity, but what are the qualifications for and process of becoming a police armorer?

You basically have to attend the armorer
school for the particular weapon you are
going to use. This may require a fair amount
of "gunplumbing skills" but usually not. All an armorer is (is) someone qualified to trouble shoot and fix basic gun problems. A gunsmith on the otherhand is someone who can
"re-engineer" a firearms to make it different
(better? )or to the particular likes of the
owner. Most gun companies take a dim view of
police armorers changing the gun in any way.
BTW there is a lot more to approving police weapons than just selecting the latest
whiz-bang toy. Should require a lot of thought and logistical support.

Bobo, the job description you gave doesn't sound too different from what I'm doing right now in the Army. Police armorer would be a job I'd love to get after I get out (but the police don't exactly advertise for one very often, do they?). I'll keep dreaming.

There are two types of police armorers: sworn and unsworn. The latter is a civilian who is tasked with servicing his/her department's firearms, the records, supplies, etc. Some agencies even have that person serve as a firearms instructor. The CA Highway Patrol and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are two agencies that go that route (note: CHP uses sworn personnel for firearms instructors).

The other route of course is that all the work described above is done by sworn personnel. It's not easy to land a job like that since officers vy for "cherry positions." You have to be liked, connected, or, having the skills already, be in the right place at the right time. The job may not even full time (especially if it's a smaller agency) and the armorer may be expected to pull his share of grunt work. Some agencies may not even help with training and the individual must use their own funds to pay tuition/fees.

If you're really interested, shop for agencies which take unsworn personnel. The CHP wanted and seeks gunsmiths who have formal training (college certificate). In your case, if you prove that your MOS (2112?) includes operation of a lathe and milling machine, welding, plus extensive experience (take your photos of completed work and you at your workbench now), they may waive the educational requirements.

bobo's comment that gunsmiths are more qualified than armorers is generally true. However, military armorers (especially the ones for the service branch's shooting team) are as good if not better than many gunsmiths. The same applies for the Brit's Royal Army Mechanical Engineers (Armorers) who serve a four year apprenticeship.

So 45b, don't just dream it. Get all the training and experience you can now while in the service. Then go out and do it! Heck, my agency lets me and it took years.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

My department has 400+ officers. The position is a sworn one. He is also not a full time armorer. He is part of our training staff at the academy. He is over the firearms training unit and teaches firearms at the academy. Bobo got it right when he said an armorer troubleshoots and fixes basic problems. Gary is also right. Positions like that are usually given for who you know and not what you know. Police work unfortunately is one of the most political jobs around. If you have the skills and dont want to be a full time officer, I would do as Gary says and look for departments that have civilians do the work. I would love to be an armorer, but I do not associate in the right circles. I am not even allowed to be a firearms instructor.

------------------
-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back