Hooked!!

Pond James Pond

Today, I went to the local range/shop that has a sample of two BP guns. The owner that I know bought himself a stainless Remington .44 1858 revolver.

He let me shoot it at the indoor range. Two shots of fairly packed BP with a .454 roundball.

I actually hit the target in the same area, low-left of POA but only about 2.5" apart. One-handed.

A nice shove back into the palm: very pleasant.

I'm pretty sure I could have a go with a BP gun at the range with their BP that they are getting. Only downside is that it is a short range at about 12yds...

Black powder is fun. Re learning old technology. Given its limitations, it a forgiving propellant, and is capable of some astounding accuracy.

Black powder is fun.

Absolutely.

And it wasn't just the pretty unique feel of the shot. There is also the process (not action) of reloading the gun. It was all very therapeutic! Very zen!

I can now well see how satisfying it must be to cast one's own roundball, use a piece of suitable cloth from around the home, some home-made bullet lube, even some home made B-P if one knows how, stuff them all into the barrel of an old design and still manage respectable 1-2 MOA accuracy at 100m! Or a successful hunt.

It really gives a sense of being very involved in the whole process of shooting from beginning to end.

All that philosophising from someone with two shots of .44cal C&B!!
Think of the stuff I'll come out with once I've shot a Smith Carbine!! :D

One of our local indoor ranges isn't much longer than that one at maybe 15 yards.
It's still useful, though.
Just use smaller targets. :)

Yeah, don't let those old style shootin' irons fool ya'.
Their accuracy can be outstanding.
I used to attend matches for muzzle loaders and can testify, in the right hands, they can be every bit as accurate as modern arms.

many people brag of their expertise with a hand gun.
In reality very few can put each and every shot exactly where they want it
at much over 25 yd let alone 50 yd and beyond.

And as a self defense stance, you likely won't shoot beyond 20 feet anyways.

Doing things for myself is an aspect I dearly love about BP arms.

I've had custom bullets made with a very wide meplat, I make what's known as Gatofeo's #1 lube which is a very old formula for making what was the lube used on outdated outside lubed bullets. I also cut my own patches for my muzzleloading rifle, along with punching felt wads for my pistols and rifle.

I have also made some paper cartridges for my pistols. Sure made reloading at the range quicker.

It has also brought forth curiousity for the history as well.

In reality very few can put each and every shot exactly where they want it
at much over 25 yd let alone 50 yd and beyond.

All true in the case of the revolver I tried, but if (or rather now when!! :D) it would probably with a shoulder stock: either the rem or a hawken style replica.

Finished our ML shotgun instructor class today. Our instructor brought out three "students" we were to instruct. :eek: They were not present when we did our earlier presentations.

So, we quickly determined that they knew the three firearm safety rules, had fired guns; especially shotguns, and had shot muzzle loading rifles before and knew the loading sequence ("powder, patch and ball or it won't shoot at all").

A brief review of the safety rules, our own safety procedures in handling blackpowder, the loading sequence (with demonstration) and then actual shooting at a clay pigeon.

Then we used the coach-pupil method to get total participant involvement to rotate our three students through the process of safely using a muzzle loading shotgun. No one was hurt and unfortunately, they spared every single clay pigeon launched into the air. How humane.

Back