• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Homework: Advertising Sendup for 2nd Amendment

ninenot

Guys,
My HS Junior daughter needs to do a 'send-up' of a widely-used commercial for her HS class. Her topic is gun control and she has taken the correct position, (of course.)

Her initial thought was to use the Mastercard campaign--you know, $15,000 for a trip to Afghanistan, $5,000 for a guide and supplies, $10,000. for a well equipped sniper rifle--then a pic of OBL in the crosshairs: "Priceless!"

While that will work, her position paper was argued along the lines of self-defense. We probably don't want to do a takeoff on the "protection" commercials seen often on MTV/VH-1, although it would work.

Any other commercials you can think of that have a 'self-defense' or 'protection' theme??

There is a member on the forum whose screen name I cannot recall who often posts artwork related to 2nd A. themes. Perhaps you can jog my memory....

Thanks

i kinda liked the "send" up of the Fed ex ad in "Jackie Brown"

"The AK-47 when you absolutely have to kill every ******* in the room"

Prolly a bit much fer skool but fun

Aren't some of the condom companies running "protection" campaigns?

heres a hoot:
Some daze, a little protection just is not enough
for those daze i carry my 50bmg pistol

Olegs work is here:
http://www.a-human-right.com/

One TFL'er (which one escapes me at the moment) has a sigline along the lines of:

Remington 870HD: $300

5 Rounds of 12ga 00 Buckshot: $4.99

Sleeping safely at night: Priceless

Actually, the "priceless" thing has been done to death... How about sending up a "supplemental insurance" commercial?

You need:
A sympathetic looking older man with a soothing voice and a nice suit.
Some office furniture.
A video camera and a well-written script.
Hello. Are you or is someone you love aged 50-80? If so, you should know that the police won't protect you 100 percent of the time from catastrophic home invasions. Response times can be long, and often precious minutes can pass before help arrives. Your only hope to survive could be yourself or a loved one.

If you truly care about your safety, or the safety of one you love, you should know about the only insurance program that can protect you 100 percent of the time. It is called a pump shotgun. Here's the number to call for more information: 1-800-REM-INGTON or 1-800-MOSS-BERG.

Be sure to seek qualified training before purchasing this insurance, but don't delay! The life of one you love could hang in the balance.

I don't claim that this is "well-written," ninenot, its just an idea you're welcome to use.

Good luck to your daughter! :)

-Dave

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU for your contributions--yeah, we will stay away from the 'when you have to kill every....in the room,' although you gave me the idea: "when you absolutely, positively, have to have self-defense: the Second Amendment".... and to Oleg, whose pictorials are superb. The "older folks security" item is a good one, but they are late-nite commercials run on channels I usually watch--thus, are not all that well-known...but intriguing. We may play that one, too.

Good to have a place to ask 'creative' favors--because you can get them here.

Ninenot

Back