Homemade Range Rod

DennisCA

So how did I do - workable?

tl7e.jpg

2jvb.jpg

This is something I wanted to try, simple because I don't to jack-up the rod that came with the gun.
Parts list:
Dowel
Small piece of wood
Extra-strength glue
9mm Shell Casing
Gray Duck Tape (So the shell casing wouldn't damage the barrel.)

I forgot how much I spent but it wasn't much

You're off to a good start

It's a handsome rod. Take a rasp to the handle to make it more ergonomic.

I've got a 40" plus range rod that is one piece of brass. The 3/8" brass rod came from panic door hardware and has a wood file type handle on the end.

Looks good but if you load tight prb's or conicals be careful with it. Make sure your dowel doesn't have grain runout. I'd hate to see you posting pics later of a broken dowel stuck through your palm. BTW you can get round wooden balls from the Wal Mart craft dept. that make good knobs.

Good work !!!

So how did I do - workable?
You did well and I too limit my use of the supplied "wooden" rods on my traditionals. Might I suggest installing a ram-rod tip in the loading end. They are just a few bucks from most M/L suppliers. Or if you really want to be resourceful and "frugal" you can use an empty .38spl. brass case. By the way, what is that green stuff, on your nipple? ..... :confused:

Good work and;
Be Safe !!!

Pahoo - On the nipple is not green but blue; actually it's a piece of rubber tubing cut off to protect the nipple. In case I do some thing stupid and dry fire it (I've been know to stupid things - just ask my wife!! :eek:)

maillemaker - Rumor has that THOR was A ball-driver~!:rolleyes:

Back