Homemade guns and handgun rifling

CastAmerican

Inactive
I am thinking about starting to dabble in the homemade guns hobby. I was looking at some designs I liked and came across this one. I will post the link below. I was thinking about making this one, but I was under the impression that all handguns had to have barrel rifling or they were considered a smooth bore shotgun. My question is, if I made this revolver, would I have to put rifling in the chamber? Other than that, I don't see any problems. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Refer to the plans to see what I am talking about.
https://www.scribd.com/document/331...olver-homemade-gun-plans-professor-parabellum
Let me know if the link doesn't work.

The man who made a modernized LeMat revolver (but with an eight shot .357 Maximum cylinder and 20 gauge shotgun barrel in the middle) rifled the shotgun barrel very slightly. It was something like 1/4” twist in the entire length of the barrel. This met legal requirements as it was a rifled bore. You can even do a straight rifled bore too. All this may be done on a lathe(check on line for the book). Ned Roberts’ The Muzzleloading Cao Lock Rifle also teaches how to Rifle a bore.

Wow! Smooth bore muzzle loading guns are NOT regulated by ATF, nor are they classified as "Any Other Weapon." Muzzle loading guns are not regulated by the federal government at all.

You can not rifle a 20 ga. handgun and make it legal, because the bore is over .50 caliber. This is why there is a plethora of .410 handguns- they are under .50 caliber. Handgun barrels have to be rifled and UNDER .50 CAL.

Yes, each barrel of the pepperbox would have to be rifled. Straight rifling is possibly legal.

I read the reg posted by T O'Heir,,,

"A pistol having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire shot shells."

I have always interpreted that to be a modern shotgun cartridge,,,
Because I can go online right now and order a smooth bore muzzle loading handgun.

Am I wrong here?

Aarond

If it's a smoothbore shotgun, then the whole issue of barrel length comes into play. I know that there's a new breed of 14" barrel shotguns, but don't understand the legal reasoning behind it.

Concur with Bill DeShivs - if it's a pepperbox design, the cylinder serves the concurrent purpose of holding the cartridge and serving as the barrel.

Back