Home-made hunting bipod - 56 years old

Picher

Thought I'd share:

I made this bipod (photo attached) when I was about 16 years old, when some of us were woodchuck hunting with our deer rifles in Central Maine.

My dad was a plumber and showed me how to anneal copper tubing and to use various tools, including an acetylene torch to sweat pipes. The resulting bipod is about 8 1/2" high and can be carried in a rear pocket, jammed into the ground and serves as a stable platform for prone shooting. The top has felt, wrapped with electrician's tape. It proved to be about indestructible.

Back then, I was shooting a Savage 110, 30-06, with a free-floated, epoxy bedded Bishop stock blank that I finished to look and feel like a Weatherby MK5. Shot under 3/4 MOA with 125 gr. Sierra handloads, using a Weaver 2.5X fixed-power scope. The year I kept records, I averaged 230 yard kills with the rifle.

John

Attachments

• IMG_2482 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_2482 (640x427).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 170
Mother of necessity in the days of low funds or a willingness to build your own.
Looks much more rugged than today's bipods...good job and pass it down.

memories

That took me back.......

I fashioned a couple of rests as a teenaged groundhog hunter. One was with dowels and a wooden disk with appropriate holes....sort of resembled a small stool. It was friction fitted, and I could pull the whole thing apart and stick it in my back pocket. The other was from a collapsible music stand.

Yours looks much sturdier than either of mine.

I love to fabricate things myself. Usually it's for a hotrod or antique car/truck. I sure didn't have that bug when I was 16 though...it was booze, cars and chasing girls. I should have chosen fabrication......
You did a great job on that Bipod buddy.

Back