Home made Hi Power Detective

meminind

Inactive
Has anyone ever shortened the slide and barrel on a Hi Power to the FM Detective length? I wound up with a JO Israel in rough shape I want to play with. And no my budget does not allow it to be sent off to C&S or some other very good but pricey smith.

Hi. There's a Detective on Gunbroker for a grand. Don't think anybody could convert a BHP to that size for that kind of money.
Shortening a slide is a major alteration involving precision welding among other skills.
A beat up JO Israel might be a good candidate to learn restoration on though.

Austin Behlert used to do it all the time but these days it will cost you more than buying a FM Dectective slide kit which can still be found sometimes for under $700.

br4guns.jpg

Not many shops will take on the job of cutting a high stress part like the slide and welding it back together. Yes, it can be and has been done, but getting the back half of a slide through the forehead really spoils the aim. I suggest reconsidering the project.

Jim

IIRC, Behlert did not cut & weld the slide. It was cut & a Bushing, Plate, & Alignment Pin from a S&W 52 was fitted. In the before FM Detective Days, this was a common method of shortening & accurizing a BHP. The same method was also used on S&W 39's & various Colt's.

Back