Home Defense with Children

jvctx

Inactive
For years I've kept a handgun in a quick-access safe under my bed and a shotgun in the gun safe in the master closet (key to gun safe in quick-access safe). These days, I've got 3 small children. My concern is not preventing access to the guns, but what to do when the burglar alarm goes off in the middle of the night.

The way my house is laid out, the master bedroom is downstairs and the children's bedrooms are upstairs, on the other said of the house, which is fairly big (4,000 sq ft).

I'm torn between the plans of:
1) Get hand gun, quietly and slowly move through the house to hopefully get a jump on the BG (if it's not a false alarm).
2) Get gun, and dash upstairs toward kids to take defensive stand upstairs and protect kids.

It seems like #1 is the only viable choice because getting shot by BG during dash upstairs win't help them at all.

Anyway, I'd like to get people's ideas on home defense when the family is spread out.

Thanks,
Jon

You may want to consider a dog. Doesn't have to be an aggressive type, just a little mutt will do. They will warn you, and give the time to put your plan into action, and not be taken by suprise.

Don't forget that there may be more than one BG. They like 3-4 now days. And don't buy in to any of their BS. They are professional liars and con-artists.
Best, Eagle

Hi, Jon. Welcome to TFL.

Actually your best defensive location is upstairs. It is easiest to defend against someone climbing the stairs.

What you didn't mention a wife. If you are married, what is she going to do?

I'm married but my wife is not gun-literate and, being kind of clumsy and slow to wake up, it is probably best that she doesn't help.

We tossed around the idea that maybe she go into the closet and get the shotgun (20-ga pump with a pistol-grip stock) while I guard the bedroom door with my pistol (H&K USPC .40), then we switch guns and I go investigate with the shotgun. This could take a minute while BGs are in the house and the kids are upstairs by themselves.

Of course, the first thing we need to work on is our frame of mind. We've never had a break-in but we have had false alarms (doors not totally latched that pop open). So, when the alarm has gone off, we usually turn it off and then go investigate. That obviously defeats the purpose of having a monitored alarm.

The second option! I know a pi, he is an ex-marine and one of the toughest guys I know. He lives in a lousy neighborhood, in a house he inherited from his father. He says if anyone ever comes in, I am staying in my bed room with my pistol in my hand and a lot of prayers they leave with out coming in my room. He has no kids, but the point is the same. Protect yourself, your children and family; your possessions can be replaced!

mnero, That is exactly what I would do if I had no kids. That's my dilemma. I need to leave my "safe" room to go protect the kids.

I got ya. I should have been more clear. Go upstairs and take the weapon with you. Hopefully you will get there first and without running into the perps. I can't imagine having the responsibilities you have; protecting your family. Seems like you are doing what you should though. Secured weapon, close to your sleeping place, and a good alarm system. Just grab the pistol and get upstairs; forget the shotgun, there may not be time.

Gotta go with #2. Clearing a house is not to be taken lightly or without training or back up. Too many things can go wrong, even in your own home.
Find the easiest and safest route to your kids upstairs that offers the least exposure to you and your wife. Let the police clear the house.

I would second the dog if it's a responsibility you are willing to take on. Dogs are a great layer of security if trained to alert bark and/or protect. Breed selection is important to make sure they are what you and your family need and want, especially if it's a family/guard dog.

As a family with 2 young boys, 6 years old and 13 months, we decided to get a family pet first and guard dog as a secondary trait. We adopted an adult dog who had been around young children for all his life and yet met our guard dog criteria. He's a 5 year old German shepherd/Rottweiler mix with a good temperament and tolerance for kids, while still being aware, protective and fearless. He's a great animal and he's good at placing himself between the kids and anything he thinks might be a threat.

As for a plan of action, I want to secure my kids as 1st priority. For me that means getting armed and getting to them while making sure all is clear in my path. I use a pistol with a TLR-1 mounted light for home defense and think lights are a great tool. Clear the house as you go to your kids and make sure you know your layout and target foreground and background before you engage.

I wouldn't want a dog for the reason that it would give me yet another loved one I felt I had to protect. I have a little 14 yr old dauchshound; he is not much of a guard dog, but I would protect him like he was family. Of course if you are willing to get upstairs and let the dog stay and engage the perps or alert and retreat, then yeah a dog is a great defense. We used them alot in the service and they are amazing; best marines I ever saw!

mnero, good post on not wanting a dog. It's important to understand the responsibilities of a guard dog and your own willingness to own one. Dogs are a big responsibility and not for everyone or every situation.

Get gun, and dash upstairs toward kids to take defensive stand upstairs and protect kids.

I would also grab a phone.

I added onto my house wit hthis in mind, the kids bedroom is beside mine but anyone needs to come down a hallway to get there then turn left at my bedroom door a window over the kitchen sink behind the hallway lites it up at night, I can see them they cannot see me.

I would think a well designed drill for family would start you in the right direction. you with gun, wife on phone to LE(with shotgun), kids going someplace safer like closet or bathroom (Something with a lock, that gets them out of the way). then carefully going directly upstairs. maybe add motion sensors to some internal lights. if the alarm goes off butt lights off probably false alarm. alarm goes off butt lights come on be prepared.
Just a thought.

Art S.

if your kids are old enough i think it would be good to have them in on your plans. as in, if the alarm goes off, stay in their rooms, get in a closet, and wait for a safe word before you come out. i have told mine (5 yr old son, 13 yr old daughter) to stay put and wait for someone to say "rotten egg" my family plan is to get everybody together but we're all close to start with. just move to a new house with a better floor plan ! JK i would grab the wife, phone and both guns, once prepared then carefully make your way upstairs and defend from high ground as a family. my wife shoots a .38 snubby with me 2 or 3 times a year, only because i ask her to, but has been taught to reload all 9 guns for me since i am the most proficient. my 13 yr old girl only weighs 100 lbs wet but can hit inside the "10 ring" at 25 yards with my .45 all day long. there are 2 other shooters in the house if (God forbid) i'm not home, wounded or worse.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I definitely need to practice some of these ideas with the wife. The kids are 4, 4 & 2, so they're too young to expect to act according to any plan (or even wake up if the alarm goes off).

I would strongly suggest you sit down with your wife and weapons to get her familiar with how they work then get out to the range every once in a while so she is at least used to shooting. I would keep it under 10 yards since you are not going to have that many long shots in a house. That way you are not the first and last line of defense.

I also think the best bet is to get to your kids and hold out there with LE on the phone. Give them descriptions of what you and your family look like and exactly where you are so you do not get mistaken as a bad guy with a gun. Leave the room clearing stuff to the pro's and keep your family safe.

Jon, here's the way I see it.

1. Fix the alarm situation, whatever you gotta do, to minimize false alarms. Otherwise you'll get complacent.

2. With your wife in the house, you've got 2 separate groups to protect. You can't be in 2 places at once. The wife and kids must be together. The best way I see is for her to dash upstairs (phone in hand) while you cover her. Then you dash upstairs.

3. Since upstairs is really your "safe area" in this scenario, I recommend you hide a weapon upstairs in a quickly accessible lock box. Your wife will then have something in case you don't make it with your gun, or she has an opportunity to fire too. You might want to keep ear protection upstairs too for the family.

4. Put a house key on a stick to throw out of an upstairs window for the cops to use to get into your house when they arrive, if you have to barricade and wait it out.

5. Waiting for the cops is preferable to clearing if you can wait. It beats a shoot-out.

I'd go with the those that said "No" to the house clearing. Group the family, barricade the door, and call the pro's.

Also : I did that alone for my yet to be wife due to a stranger entering her home. It was intense to say the least. I do not recommend it at all.

Clearing a room is at the minimum a 2 man job that takes hours upon hours of practice to get right and not shoot your partner in the back, let alone a house. Get to a spot to put the bad guys in a fatal funnel like a doorway or down a hall to stack the deck in your favor. Also have extra mags loaded and kept in hiding around the the house in strategic spots so you don't run dry.

Back