Home defense shotguns

wicat3

Hey everyone. I have a few shotguns but I want to upgrade to a tactical "name brand" shotgun. I have an 870 clone and was thinking of getting an 870 express tactical. While looking around I saw the 887 nitro. I had read an article a few years back and it sounded like a solid shotgun but it appears to have been discontinued and Remington has said they don't know if they will have replacement parts available for them. That's concerning for a purchase. I was then thinking maybe a tactical benelli. My goal is to get a primary home defense shotgun and stay under the initial purchase of 400 dollars. Out of the three shotguns mentioned what would you do?

Stay away from the 887. I prefer the 870 design, but Benelli, Mossberg and Browning all make solid pump shotguns. They all work, it depends on which features are more important to you.

If you plan to add stuff to it, more stuff is available for the 870 platform than any other. Quite a lot is also available for the Mossberg. Everything else is way behind.

The Rem 870 Express gets my vote. I have several 870 shotguns including the original Home Defense model with the extended magazine and synthetic stock. The 870 is definitely a reliable shotgun and, of course, reliability is extremely important for any home defense firearm.

The amrscor is a great price but never heard of them. I have a 500 and have done a lot with the 500 but I have an H&R pardner pump which is a heavier version of the 870 and something about it just fits. I love the 500 design but the 870 design has just fit better for me for home defense design. I have heard mix feelings on the express. Can anyone speak on them?

Easily remedied with some 0000 steel wool, a little oil and the cordless drill with a dowel.

If I was looking for a HD gun, and it had to be a pump, I would scour pawn shops and gun shows for a nice condition 870 Wingmaster.

Hey everyone. I have a few shotguns but I want to upgrade to a tactical "name brand" shotgun. I have an 870 clone and was thinking of getting an 870 express tactical. While looking around I saw the 887 nitro. I had read an article a few years back and it sounded like a solid shotgun but it appears to have been discontinued and Remington has said they don't know if they will have replacement parts available for them. That's concerning for a purchase. I was then thinking maybe a tactical benelli. My goal is to get a primary home defense shotgun and stay under the initial purchase of 400 dollars. Out of the three shotguns mentioned what would you do?

As a rabid 870 fan myself...I would state that you need to be careful. For some reason newer 870s are having quality control issues. Even mine. And it is frustrating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily remedied with some 0000 steel wool, a little oil and the cordless drill with a dowel.

If I was looking for a HD gun, and it had to be a pump, I would scour pawn shops and gun shows for a nice condition 870 Wingmaster.

You know, all the talk about the rough chamber...I personally think the extractor is part of the problem. It doesn't get a large enough grip on the shell, and so if the shell is tight in the chamber...it will just rip the small piece of the shell instead of pulling it out. I think the gun is just cheap now.

I 2nd the wing master comment.

FITASC said:

I realize some guns can be picky with certain kinds of ammo but a gun which doesn't work properly is broken/defective. And a person who buys a new gun shouldn't be responsible for fixing it. A new gun should work...

I realize some guns can be picky with certain kinds of ammo but a gun which doesn't work properly is broken/defective. And a person who buys a new gun shouldn't be responsible for fixing it. A new gun should work...

Exactly. And a cheap gun should be able to use cheap ammo. An 870 should be able to fire and cycle shells that have been welded into the chamber. That was their reputation in the past. It is not the case anymore

The rough chambers and associated internet hype was years ago. The current Expresses are the best yet in my opinion. All the BS about Quality on Remington shotguns - note I said shotguns - is 99.999% internet hype. Plus, all the new ones come with a lifetime warranty. Remington and Mossberg Customer Service is way ahead of anybody else's if you should ever need it.
I have seen Expresses, Novas, Winchesters, Mossbergs, and even BPSs being beat on the ground to extract Winchester Universal shells. My 1100s will cycle them, but at least half the bases are ripped.
For your stated purposes I would not consider anything other than an 870 first and a Mossberg second. The Mossberg lovers would reverse that. :) A Browning BPS is a great gun, but I hate the bottom only loading and the fact that the reach feels longer, to me anyway. It isn't longer, but it feels like it is. I had three that never missed a beat but I sold them. My buddy has been shooting one for 30 years with no problems, so if that's your preference I would say you can get one with confidence.

Tactical firearms - especially shotguns - are standard guns with cosmetic changes. Get a less expensive "standard" shotgun, 870 or 500, and put the additional items you need to make it fit your intended use.

The amrscor is a great price but never heard of them.

They are a Brazilian company that makes more 1911 pistols than anyone in the world. They make Rock Island Armory, Citadel and others as well as parts for other manufacturers. They make very reliable products with lifetime warranties and have great CS. The US president contributes to the Rock Island Armory Facebook page and even answers some calls as well as e-mails personally.

According to reviews, the rifle is one of the smoothest operating pumps on the market.

I had never heard of them until I started looking for a reliable affordable 1911.

I realize some guns can be picky with certain kinds of ammo but a gun which doesn't work properly is broken/defective. And a person who buys a new gun shouldn't be responsible for fixing it. A new gun should work.

And they do - but just like metallic, some have ammo preferences and many times, a chamber with a slight burr or rough spot will not like steel head ammo - which nowadays is about 95% of what folks buy because it is cheaper. Since steel doesn't retract upon expansion as readily as brass, that was the cause for a lot of folks who had issues.

I believe Armscor is NOT an brazilian Company but rather an Phillipine one.
Armscor is made in Phillipines as I have understood it.

It is on par as the turkish weapons I believe.

Cheap fillipine Labor and Rock Island Armory (mere importer) as an importer make These guns possible at that Price Point.

Over here in Southamerica it is easier to get guns from the USA than from near by Brazil.
However brazilian shotguns are, to say the least, a bunch of crap. Poor materials, poor fit&finish, poor functionality and very limited durability. For example brazilian shotguns often have recycled tire rubber as butt pad (recoil pad). They kick as a mule and soon are sloppy all over and the firing pin soon is gone. They literally fall apart.

Don't buy brazilian guns except Taurus imported by Taurus USA if I may suggest that.

With US manufacturers or European made guns you normally can not go wrong that much. Mossberg, Remington, Beretta, Pietta, etc are a few trusted names.

I had once an Remington 887 nitro mag shotgun. At first the whole Batch seemed to have Trouble with their rotating bolt System. The gun jammed up and the round never was to get out (completely stuck). There was something wrong with the rotating bolt lock up. But the 887 shoot very well and are rust proof. They never had that Problem of not loading like Mossberg has a tendency to have (Shell stop and the other Lever has a flaw on Mossbergs). Otherwise Mossbergs are better shooters.
I finally sold the 887 in favour to an 12 ga Mossberg 500 and an 20 ga as well Mossberg 500. The aluminum Receivers of the Mossbergs will not rust as well.
That 887 nitro mag I changed for These ones
53265-catalog.jpg

Put on this 12 ga an MODIFIED choke and you have an defense shotgun as well.
54301-catalog.jpg

Source of Picture (both): http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/54301-catalog.jpg
This is a purely defensive shotgun. I have loaded it with .575" round balls and .311" #1 buckshot. That'll do it very well to 30 Yards. I enjoy the 20 ga more than the 12 ga.
Put there an hunting Barrel on with some chokes and you got'ya a hunting gun as well.

Last edited:
Listen to what Virginian had to say. Makes sense. 870 or 500, those will get the job done at a reasonable price. I also agree that Armscor is not Brazilian, but is Philippine production. Again, the 870 or 500 will work perfectly.

Very happy 870 Police Magnum owner here. My HD ammo is Federal #1 Buck. I shoot the snot out of this gun as often as I can, and I compete with it, too.

I know the 500 is a solid weapon, too, and I only hear good things about the Winchester 1300s.

Back