Home defense: Shotgun or revolver?

SB

I chose to post here because I figure this forum would be neutral ground for this particular issue.

For home self-defense, if you can only buy and use either one shotgun or one revolver, which one would you choose? And why?

Shotgun. No wait. Revolver. But the shotgun is more versatile Change the load and you can hunt just about anything. Revolver can almost match that though in .38/.357, except for wing shots. Hey I don't hunt anyhow, so screw the scattergun. But just look at the 12 GA SxS with 18 1/12" barrels from the business end. Just the thought of that pointed at me gets me makes me queasy. But that's only 2 shots, the revolver has 6. What's a gun nut to do? BUY BOTH ;)Both isn't an option according to the rules of the question so a choice has to be made. ( Luckily real life isn't quite as harsh &#61514 ;)
I chose a revolver. Smith and Wesson model 66 with 2 1/2 " barrel. My reasoning for the choice, it is a defensive weapon, and a defensive weapon only. What you see is what you get. No target frills, nothing to dress it up.(except some planned action work) nothing to interfere with why I bought it. My idea of home extends beyond the confines of my house, by that I mean when I go camping or travel. The shotgun is too large to carry. At this point I must add that I do not illegally carry the Smith, either on me or in the car. It remains unloaded and locked in the trunk, separate from the ammo. I can get to it within 30 seconds, and load at least 2 rounds, and have them under the hammer. The shotgun takes longer to unpack, and load. An auto is out of the question. It takes forever to load anything in the magazine. A loaded magazine, here in Ohio, is considered a loaded firearm, whether it is in the gun or not. Speed loaders are a gray area, some cities here throw them in with a loaded magazine, and will press for a felony charge. Others do not. Brandishing a firearm is also a felony, so any scare benefit of the "2 big holes in the barrel" becomes a non-issue. Same goes for racking a slide to scare the bejabbers out of somebody. That is considered aggravated assault, brandishing a firearm, and if pointed in somebody's direction, attempted murder. (Laws here in Ohio really suck, hopefully with our new Governor things will get better)All things considered. I chose the revolver. I may be wrong, and would like to hear others reasons for their choices.

------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.

I vote for revolver. Reasons? All Hals' points plus: The implication is that this is a new owner of firearms, thus the simplicity, and thus easier usability of the revolver wins. Also the difference in recoil/blast/noise, etc; revolver wins for a new shooter. Another reason is training, ammo is cheaper for the revolver and places to practice are more plentiful. My comment on ranges is because in my area the indoor ranges limit shotgun shooting to the non-busy times, meaning 9 to 5.
Bottom line is that a revolver is easier to master, and more comfortable to shoot. This means a person is more likely practice (doesn't mean they will!).

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Thanks ATM: If I may add, the implication of the shotgun in the civil trial that would follow any shooting. That same dreadful appearance would be viewed by a jury in the same manner. The sight of 2 cavernous holes, on what would surely be presented to a jury as a "sawed off shotgun".

ps. If you ever get to Ohio. look me up. You may change your mind about recoil and blast with 158 Gr. full house Magnums in a snubbie.

------------------

OTOH, If I read your question literaly, and the weapon is to be limited to home defense, I would take the shotgun.

------------------
-Essayons

A shotgun is the idea home defence firearm. It hits very hard and with an open choke it developes a good pattern so it doesn't have to be aimed as much as a revolver does. Shotguns can be picked up inexpensivly and are more PC.

One advantage to the shotgun is that loaded with small shot, say #6, it is devastating at short range, but will not penetrate several layers of wall board, as will the pistol ammo, EVEN the so called frangible ones. This is something to be concerned about, if you have others sleeping in your house, or neighbors within several hundred yards. Walt

I agree with Walt, You donot get the over penetration with the shotgun as one would the revoler. Also with the shotgun nothing scares bad guys more than hearing a shell being racked and knowing they are about to be on the business end of a shotgun. One does not have to aim the shotgun either, just point off the hip, a big plus in the middle of a DARK night with bad guys approaching. But as with any firearm be sure of what you are firing at.

Shotgun.

you can give a shotgun to anyone anytime anywhere and tell them to shoot at something 10 feet away, and they will hit it in some form or another. Even if they dont, if a 12 guadge goes off in your face, you will be stunned.

Overpenetration is another issue, if you live in a suburb with the houses all close together, an unlucky shot could end up in your next door neibors refrigerator. Wouldnt that suck. Shotgun will not penetrate as much in a similar situation.

IMHO you need to train more with a revolver than a shotgun. With a shotgun you point in the general direction and have a 98% change of hitting them, 100% chance of disturbing them, and 100% chance of knocking them on thier tushie. With a revolver you need to have the knowledge to aim, and fire under pressure. if when under pressure, you continualy pull badly to the right, all our going to do is shoot up your house. Also 5 rounds in a revolver, once spent is less of a threat that 5 rounds out of a shot gun spent.

If you dont belive me, sit at the wrong end of a range one day and see which one you would rather have shooting at you.

my $.02

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

I have to agree with the points raised in favor of the shotgun, except :) that it is not easier to use especially when one is untrained. Unless the owner is going to take it home, load up, and then stand it in the closet until needed some training will be done. Anyone who has fired a 12 gauge knows how hard it hits the first couple of times, and the loud boom it makes. Getting someone over this to some degree of confidence in themselves is not easy. Handguns are easier to train someone to use well, particularly a new shooter, since you can work up in the loads to fullpower self defense loads.

Hal - Only masochists' :) shoot fullhouse 158's out of a snubby, and I have to agree that this would give a shotgun a run for its money on blast and noise. However I would not recommend a snubby for home defense, more like a 4" medium/large frame. Such as a 686/GP100.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 12-27-98).]

Good points from all the scatter gun crowd. The original post asked what was right for me. I have a 12 Ga SXS. I won't use it for the above stated reasons. Add to that the fact that I am blind in my right eye and right handed. this makes me ultra sensetive to recoil. I flinch badly when I use a shoulder arm. Firing from the hip is a good way to miss. Sorry but a 12 Ga at short range ( 20 feet)throws a pattern about 4 to 10 inches across. Far too much room for error. Shotguns are also longer, that gives a BG a lever advantage if they grap it. Your finger is trapped in the trigger guard when they grab the muzzle and twist. Don't take my word for it, try it sometime and you'll see what I mean. Racking the slide for threat benifit is kind of silly IMHO. Why give away your position? If it's too dark to make out your target DON'T SHOOT. Again, I am not against a shotgun for home defense. Quite the contrary. In the hands of anyone unfamiliar with a firearm, a shotgun is a top choice. On the other hand, I am a far, far , far better shot with a revolver. No brag, just fact. I use full magnum loads in my Smith and Wesson 2 1/2" Model 66. Why? Because that is the load that I keep for defense. I do not practice with .38 Specials, because I don't want any surprises if/when I need to use it. Overpenetration isn't a concern where I live. If my wife isn't beside me. I won't shoot. Period. The neighbors are far enough away that a miss, or a shoot through would fall harlessly. Again, the question was what is roght for me.

------------------

Shotgun, if the user is competent with it. Figure this: a collective ounce of lead which hits a BG is a lot better than a single 230 grain bullet; regardless of the latter's shape and configuration. I may not be schooled in terminal ballistics, but the adage: A little is good, more is better and too much is just about right seems to apply here. ;)

As an afterthought, neglected to mention Rule 2 of gunfighting: Bring a bigger gun.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 12-28-98).]

If your a novice enough to have to ask...

Shotgun .

Much easier to learn and master. Easer to hit with. Much more threatning than a wee little .38... So you are less likely to have to fire it. Easier to teach your family. Kids are less likely to be "curious."

There are many low recoil loads that would due very nicely for you... just ask a knowedgable gun clerk at your favorite shop.
And you can pick up a solid shotgun for 300 or less... where as a pistol is 300 or more easily.
Stay Safe.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

being a good ol'southern boy we seem to favor shotguns. :) really though, i favor a shotgun for almost every reason above.

------------------
fiat justitia

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited 12-28-98).]

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited 12-28-98).]

Unless there is some massive legal problem with choosing the revolver, I would favor it over the shotgun. The several posts that imply that one "can't miss" with a shotgun notwithstanding, it is very easy to miss with a shotgun at indoor ranges. This is especially true if one tries to "hip shoot" with the shotgun. At "across the room" ranges, the shot pattern will still be quite small. It is also more difficult to move through a structure with a shotgun. It is just about impossible to answer a late and unexpected knock at the door with a shotgun discreetly ready. Secure, yet ready, storage is more of a problem with the shotgun as lockboxes big enough for a shotgun are not common. It is more difficult to manipulate a flashlight, dial a phone, or open a door with a shotgun at the ready than it is with a pistol.

The shotgun's main virtue is POWER. To harness that power effectively, one must be willing to train properly and often. The handgun requires training and practice as well, but it is easier to inculcate a basic "lowest commom denominator" level of competence with the revolver than with the shotgun.

Rosco

Hurrah Rosco -

Such eloquence :). I wish I was so concise, Oh well! We have a saying at work:
I know how to spell enganeer, now that I are one.

I was beginning to feel like Custer!

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Noted writer/LFI instructor/police officer Mas Ayoob addresses the question in one of his video tapes. If there is any chance that you may need to move from room to room, i.e. to gather up your children, then the handgun is the top choice. It's very difficult to open doors and turn on lights while keeping a shotgun at the ready. You also present a very long barrel for the intruder to grab and leverage away from you.

Mas recommends the shotgun as a secondary firearm. If you have all your family members in the room with you, then you can aim your shotgun at the door and shoot anyone that comes through. He also recommends the 20 gauge. It has less recoil than the 12 gauge and is just as effective a stopper on humans.

As far as less penetration from a shotgun is concerned. Mas asks the interviewer on the video if he has ever punched his hand through someone. The interviewer answers no. Mas then states that just about anyone can punch his fist through wallboard. So if that bullet or pellet can penetrate a human body deeply enough to be a good stopper, then it will go through several layers of wallboard.

Axel

Shotgun...870 pump.

Rack that thing and any ne'er do well within hearing range will wish he was in church that very moment.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Which do you know how to use? That is the one to have available. If you have no experience with either, shotgun.

I will agree with Axel /Ayoob on the shotgun/handgun question. Think of what the probably scenerio's are. If staying in one spot while waiting for the cavalry then go for the shotgun. If answering the door or moving from room to room then buy a handgun.
I answer the door at unusual times with a friend in the hip pocket.

Back