Holsters for IDPA

imahotshot

For a number of reasons, I carry cross draw. At my age I have trouble clearing my holster in the usual strong (right) side. Cross draw fixes that. Also, belted into my car seat, it's impossible to get out of a strong side holster. And the "cross the chest" seat belt blocks the shoulder rig. Now guys, I'm told I can't use my cross draw because my gun isn't pointed "down range" when I draw. Hey, I've yet to see a gun pointed "down range" with the usual strong side draw either---unless you're using a vertical holster. And I haven't seen anyone use anything like that on a strong side. So, what's going on? How about some ideas?

As I understand the rules IDPA allows any holster worn "at the centerline" of your side...around the seam of your pants running up your leg. I believe the trigger itself should not be in front of that line.

The holster rules are a little arbitrary and vague but they require either a vertical or forward (muzzle facing backward) cant. The holster also cannot be offset from your body, meaning you should not see daylight between the rear of your holster and the belt where the two meet.

I think some other qualifications are that the trigger guard must be covered and you must be able to re-holster one-handed.

As far as why they don't allow cross draw holster...I think it's more to do with the fact that you're breaking the 180 degree plane (the muzzle safe zone or whatever) just by drawing from that position. So say you draw, put your finger on the trigger as soon as you clear the holster and you'll fire a shot to your immediate right or left (depending on which is your strong hand).

From strong side position the muzzle of the weapon will be pointed downrange at all stages of the draw, it may be pointed at the ground but still downrange. Same scenario, you have a ND due to poor trigger discipline the round is going downrange in the dust (or maybe into your foot worst case) and all you have to worry about is a ricochet instead of hoping no one is standing directly in the line of fire.

The rules is the rules. Strong-side draw from a belt holster is all that's allowed. Cross-draw was very popular in USPSA competition, twenty-five years ago, they eventually went away from it, and I suspect it was too much of a safety concern.

Hey, I've yet to see a gun pointed "down range" with the usual strong side draw either

This is why a good SOI (safety officer instructor) will teach the RO to clear the area behind and stand to the side of the shooter.

If they allowed cross draw holsters to shooters that were “safe”, would it lead to some that wanted to shoot from a shoulder holster? It boils down to the same reason the shooter has to drop the magazine, then eject the round in the chamber, then visually look to make sure the weapon is unloaded, then show the RO that the chamber is clear, then point the gun down range, then dry fire before holstering. Redundancy eliminates many variables as do safety measures.

SASS allows cross-draw holsters, with the provision that the wearer do "The Dance" to get the barrel at least to the firing line before drawing. Most such dances are half hearted wiggles. Scares the hell out of me. Just another reason I don't CAS much any more.

They also load their guns behind the line, while others are shooting, and shotgunners routinely sweep themselves and each other while on the trap line. Practical pistol just has more better safety rules.

They also load their guns behind the line,

They don't do THAT hereabouts. The loading table is pretty much on an extension of the firing line. And they get right huffy about what you do, there is a nursemaid to be sure you don't load more than the specified number of cattiges and that you get an empty chamber under the hammer.
Want to put your ammo box back on your cart? Leave your loaded guns on the table. That gives me a little chill, too; leaving my loaded gun out of my reach.
The CAS combination of procedures seems to keep anybody from getting shot but it seems a little odd to me.

I was always darned careful not to sweep anybody with my trap gun, too. Even going from station 5 to station 1. Others were not as careful, not to mention the skeet shooters and their little toe pads to support their muzzles.

You want safety procedures, go to a Highpower match.

Had a couple of new guys, one very young, one very old, at IDPA on Tuesday that worried me. I am thinking about my "just show up" recommendation to new shooters. We OFFER an introductory class; I would be willing to REQUIRE it before letting Joe Blow shoot a match.

(at our USPSA club)

(A few certain dangers were suggested to 'get help' before returning....)

Cross-draw holsters left IPSC before the rules forced it; something else proved superior.

I myself would prefer that crossdraw or butt-forward weakside wear still be an option.

IDPA and Trap

Where I have shot IDPA, magazine loading is done in a safe area away from the line and guns are not loaded until you are on the line under the control of the range officer.

Where I shoot trap, you only load one round in the gun when it is your turn to shoot. Your gun is always pointed down range and you move to another station with an unloaded gun.

You are correct on the trap rules as I have shot ATA for 35 years and I have seen AD's with release triggers and 99.9% were down range. But I also see at a lot of shoots people carrying auto loaders and pumps with the action closed. Being an NRA and trap instructor I always stop them and request them to open or lock open their action's and most everyone says "oh its empty" That may well be but if I can't see the open action, I don't want to be swept by it and I'm sure no one else does. ATA rules state open actions on all guns off or on the line till ready to fire at your target.

Back