Holsters for Berettas

wileybelch

I cannot find a holster that fits the Beretta PX4 group of pistols. Uncle Mike's claim that the #5 will fit the full size is bogus. Why? the ambidextrous decocker levers will not enter the holster. The Lawrence leather style #518 (for the Colt 1911) is too narrow and too long for the 4" barrel of the PX4 group. The Uncle Mike's #15 for the PX4 is also bogus, it fits the Walther P22 (sort of).
I'm looking for a non leather, non plastic holster for hip wear that truly fits the PX4. Quit guessing and state known facts on holster fit.
The decockers and the width of these double stack pistol designs force a completely different holster profile from single stack models, particularly if you want the entire pistol to be seated in the holster, which I do. I don't want the rear sight poking out, nor the trigger guard.
The Lawrence #518 would be close to ideal if it were wider and barrel length cut to 4"".
Where should I look?
PS: Why doesn't Beretta make their own holsters so we don't have this problem?

I noticed that you want, "non leather, non plastic" I'm curious what material you might be looking for. I did a quick check and Safriland offers holsters for PX4, but like most they are plastic.

Uncle Mike's is the last place I would look for a holster.

That is the bottom of the barrel, as far as I'm concerned.

Very happy with whitehat holsters, alien, and a few others.

Just googled holster for berretta px and found a bunch of good holsters.

A good holster will cost more than $40.

I'm not a fan of the nylon holsters. Many of the cases I see or read regarding negligent discharges while holstering are from nylon holsters folding in on themselves and getting in the trigger guard. To me a holster should have an opening that doesn't collapse. I get not liking kydex or not liking leather, but not liking either is new to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I got the Blackhawk Nylon Ambidextrous Multi - 40, Size 3. Also has a pouch for extra magazine. Got it on Amazon. I really like the fit for the gun. Was around $30. Just take a look at it.

Why doesn't Beretta make their own <<nylon>> holsters so we don't have this problem?
If every single nylon holster on the face of the earth vanished tonight while we all slept, (including the several that I own), I don't think that would accurately qualify as a "problem". :D

The reason Beretta doesn't sell nylon holsters is because they sell quality holsters. Same reason Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, El Paso Saddlery, Alien Gear, Crossbreed, Safariland, and practically every other quality holster maker doesn't make "one size fits many" nylon\ holsters.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, although it will probably come across that way--this is actually important information, not just from the standpoint of saving money in the long run, but also from a safety standpoint. The first rule of holsters is: Buy a holster made specifically for the gun you intend to carry. The easiest way to tell that you shouldn't buy a holster is when it comes with a list on the package telling you all the guns that will "fit" in it.

Tunnelrat
I, too, have seen the folding in on themselves with nylon holsters. In each case, the chosen holster was a size too big thereby allowing the nylon upper rim to slowly crimp in or fold under the pressure of the safety strap. A correctly chosen nylon holster will not deform when the safety strap is properly adjusted/applied.

Sorry johnska, I don't equate nylon with low quality. Nor do I equate leather with high quality (except with Lawrence holsters).
The cost issue has several aspects. Not least is the replacement cost. If, god forbid, your 'quality' leather holster becomes damaged in any way, the replacement cost will be high. A $10 to $20 nylon new holster will not break the bank of most shooters.
If you decide to sell your 'quality' pistol/holster combo, the potential buyer will probably not give you your investment back. Holsters can be just as personal as the pistol they hold.
PS: That's what I'm trying to do: buy a nylon holster that FITS my PX4 properly.

toyb
Are you referring to the sportster model? I should have said earlier that I don't care for any holster with a magazine pouch on the front of the holster.
IMHO it is the stupidest idea since the Studebaker.

Sorry johnska, I don't equate nylon with low quality. Nor do I equate leather with high quality (except with Lawrence holsters).
Nylon holsters don't have to be poor quality, but any holster made to fit more than one gun isn't as good quality as it could be because a good tight fit and a design tailored to a specific gun is part of what defines quality in a holster.

Leather holsters aren't always good quality--I've seen some really bad quality leather holsters. Same thing with kydex. It's possible to make a bad/low quality kydex or plastic holster.

So I'm not saying that leather or kydex automatically means a good quality holster--but I stand by the assertion that any holster made to "fit" multiple guns is not a quality holster.
The cost issue has several aspects. Not least is the replacement cost. If, god forbid, your 'quality' leather holster becomes damaged in any way, the replacement cost will be high.
This is true of any quality gear. If you break or damage it, the cost will usually be significant. Same goes if poor quality gear results in damage to a firearm.
A $10 to $20 nylon new holster will not break the bank of most shooters.
Hope not, since that's about the price of a single box of ammunition. I seriously doubt that $50 would break the bank of most shooters either; but I'm sure that there are some folks who really can afford to spend a few hundred bucks on a good pistol but can't swing $50 for a decent holster.

If I wanted a holster for no other reason than to have a place to put a gun at the range without having to lay it down on the ground, I could see buying a nylon holster for that purpose. But no way would I actually carry a gun (as in for self-defense) in a nylon holster--at least not any nylon holster I've ever seen.

Why on earth you would want to limit yourself so much is beyond me....but to each his own ;)

If I was limited to such I would just get a Bianchi M12 military holster.
Does the job and tough as nails (unlike the UncleMike POS)

If anyone is interested in a quality and practical holster for the PX4 (and other pistols), I would highly recommend....

Ghost III and Ghost 2.0 for more of a duty/utility style
Garrett Silent Thunder line of OWB/IWB for CCW or OCW style

Thank you tbm900. I immediately went to your suggested Bianchi site to check out the M12. Lo and behold, its made from 100% nylon with some supporting framing. How about that johnksa! I guess Bianchi is on your list of poor quality holsters.

As an aside, I suspect the holster manufacturers are ignoring the female pistol market at their peril. Stylistically speaking, I believe the ugly Kydex plastic is the last thing women want to wear. The soft, flexible, 1000 denier nylon could be the basis for a major product line focused on the women's market.

Thank you, again, tbm900 for the Bianchi M12 wake up call. I confess I wasn't aware of the expanded product line at Bianchi as I thought of them as just another Kydex outfit. Keep me on my toes.

I actually own an M12. I bought it many years ago.

It's solidly built, but I would never use it as a self-defense holster. I would also not consider it a high-quality holster because it isn't designed to fit one particular handgun and therefore doesn't provide good retention unless the flap is used.

Back