Holsters for an Expanding Waistline--Will a Paddle Holster Work?

lwestatbus

With all of the things going on in the world I want to upgrade my normal concealed carry firearm from a 5-shot revolver to a Kimber 1911 (4" pro carry). I face some interesting carry challenges including being in the south with warmer weather, needing to dress professionally at work, and a prohibition from actually carrying at work, though I can keep a firearm locked in the car. A huge challenge is an expanding waistline and a southern drift in my trousers which is only exacerbated by hanging several ounces of loaded 1911 on them.

I own a Galco shoulder rig and a very high quality IWB holster for my Kimber but need to have something that doesn't make me undress in the parking lot or be flashing my rig while I put it on and also something that will help keep my pants in place, or at least minimize the drift.

I have used belt clip holsters before but would prefer not to have the wear on my suit pants and would also like more stability for holsters carried outside the waistband.

I am considering a paddle holster for a couple of reasons. First, it can be slipped much more discretely than the other rigs. Second, and here's where I'd really like some information, it seems that it will give my belt more purchase against my body, a problem with my IWB rig.

Does anyone have any experience with paddle holsters and their effect on sagging pants with moderately heavy firearms? Any comments on paddle holsters in general?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, I have the same size issues as you and when I was working I had similar dress issues. I had a paddle holster made for my 2" Detective Special(half the weight of a 1911) and used it a week. Bianchi used to make a holster called the minimalist (owb with loops that snapped ). I have two that I really like . However for many of the same reasons you've stated I switched to AIWB . I use a Bell Charter Oak . I carry a J frame though. Hope this was some help. Paddle is easy on and off.....does NOT conceal well and pants will move further south lol.

First, I'll suggest an overall fix to a problem you and I both appear to share- with and without carry- suspenders AND a belt. Use the suspenders to keep your pants up, use the belt to carry your load.

My first holster was a Paddle/Pancake either/or Serpa kit. The Pancake option was hard to conceal, the paddle almost impossible. The cover garment had to be so much longer for outside the pants, and the paddle was so far away from my body.

Most of my holsters are OWB paddle type. I mostly use these because heavy duty belts are not usually practical in dress clothes. I used to carry the Sig 229 but now its either a Glock 22 or 23. I have absolutely no sag problems with proper fitting pants and I do not need to buy my pants 2 inches bigger for an IWB holster.

Some things to consider:
--Retention or no retention device - as with any holster you will need to practice to be effective if you choose a retention device.
--Clip vs no clip -- This is the little device that is on the inside of the paddle normally to keep it from pulling out of your pants. Some of the clips make it very hard to get it off your pants and have screwed up some of my expensive dress belts and snagged my suit pants. Really don't see the need.
--Cant of holster--This is probably the most important. Depending on your build, you may find that the holster may somewhat cant the stock of the FA inward against your body. I have friends that have some hefty "love handles" who over flow the FA. It makes it a challenge for them to use any holster that pulls the FA tight against the body. Of course the trade off is that the further out the FA carries, the more it profiles.

Galco makes some nice paddles in leather. I am currently using the Safariland open top molded with the spring retention device. Can't remember model off hand. I am currently in the process of having a Kydex open top paddle made w/ no retention. Not a lot of need for retention device if carrying concealed where your FA will not get snatteched from you.

Back