HOLSTER WORN 229 SIG

riddleofsteel

I picked up a used 229 Sig today with good night sights and two factory mags for $350.00.
It was a police trade in and mechanically is perfect. Wear patterns on the barrel and slide show very little firing for a police gun. I had a chance to talk to the purchasing agent for the force that traded a few Sigs in with a bunch of S&W 4046's and S&W 4003's. He told me that the main wear on the guns was holster carry. On the stainless steel slide of this pistol the black (phosphate ?) finish is pretty poor. Most of it is either gone or close to it. There are a few stratches over all, but nothing i would not have eventually done to a new gun if i carried and shot it. The frame is nearly perfect and the anodizing looks new.
I am thinking now that i may just leave it like it is. It looks kinda distinguished. Kinda like it has been there and done the job. Like a FWD pickup, a shooter only gets to be real fun when it has a few dings and you don't have to worry about it.
I have also considered just having the rest of the black glass beaded off, leaving a nice matte stainless effect. I can not wait to shoot it tommorrow and see how it does with my favorite ammo. The last 229 i had shot groups like a rifle and was totally reliable. I will keep you posted.

Congrats... sounds like you got one heck of a deal. If I got a hold of one for $350.00 I'd probably just leave it alone, especially if it's mechanically perfect. Maybe you can have just the slide finished with RoGuard, Black-T, or Bear Coat for around $100. I guess it depends on if you can depart with that gun for as long as it takes to finish ;)

Ben

update on used 229.
this baby shots groups like a rifle. everything my old 229 was and more. at 21 feet i was shooting single action and getting groups that you could cover with a quarter!! thats 10 rounds!! shooting double action first shoot then single action thereafter the groups were well inside the 10X ring of a standard combat human target. reliability was perfect with several types of ammo.
a real keeper, cheap to

loving it.

RiddleSteel,You got one hell of a deal. I paid 600.00 for mine NIB. I dont think you loose that much in a used gun especially for that price. Dont worry about the holster wear. The holster wear starts right away even on the newer models if you handle them.
I saw your post about the magazines. They are way to high priced. I think you only gain two rounds anyway. I went with the Klinton 10 rounders. Let me know if you get a decent priced source. I can buy LEO mags, but I was told I have to turn them in when I retire so whats the point. I dont carry it on duty.

i carry a Kahr most of the time anyway in hot weather do i am used to the idea of only six or seven rounds. heck 10 rounds seems like a high capacity to me now. My wife carries a Sig 226 in 9mm and we have 15 round mags for it. I shoot it some and i catch myself looking at the slide to see if it is locked open after 7 or 8 rounds. i guess i am not used to a handgun with 15.

Back