Holster Safety

Pagan

Inactive
My gun club recently banned cross carry holsters as they consider them dangerous. The premise is that when carrying the gun in the holster, you sweep other people each and every time you turn around, even if your not drawing it.

I can understand increased possibility of sweeping when drawing, but is there any information which indicates x-carry holsters are more dangerous when simply carrying?

Interesting !!!

Interesting post and frankly, I don't see it. However, glad you brought it up as it's certainly worthy of discussion. Let's see what shakes out ..... :D

Be Safe !!!

Do they also ban butt forward shoulder holsters?

How much cant is allowed on a belt holster before they consider it sweeping?

I can see them being concerned about issues with drawing from them during practice, but the stated reason (danger while carrying) is nonsense.

Even Cowboy Action shooting doesn't ban cross-draw holsters ... they just have strict rules on how you must position yourself when drawing to avoid sweeping spectators and/or other shooters.

Last edited:
My gun club recently banned cross carry holsters as they consider them dangerous. The premise is that when carrying the gun in the holster, you sweep other people each and every time you turn around, even if your not drawing it.

You may have heard or read only part of the reasoning.

There is a difference between a gun club and a shooting range in many cases.

Many ranges ban drawing a gun (practice drawing) except during specific competitions or special times for private practice. This exception can include allowing drawing for certain private Club events. Both indoor and outdoor ranges both follow these guidelines.

A private club can also ban whatever they want if there have been issues.

Ask more about the specific reasons and conditions for the ban. Is it an all the time ban or just during practice?

Cross draw holsters are not any more dangerous than shoulder holsters with the muzzle point rearward, or even down.

tipoc

Do they also ban pocket holsters? Or just don't allow you to sit down if you are carrying a pistol in one?
I think jimku had it right. Sounds like they have Cynthia from the Geico commercial in charge!

Simply, I don't see it. If you are facing your target, you won't sweep the target.

Additionally, if you don't draw, you aren't sweeping anyone.

Kreyzhorse, many people will sweep from their 7 or 8 o'clock to their 12 o'clock (or 4-5, if lefty), when drawing from a cross draw holster. If they kept the muzzle near vertically down, the area swept might not be large, but it would still violate any 180 degree range rules.

Back