holster rig conditioning?

my black holster rig arrived very dried out. What should I use on it to soften it up?
Heavy (8-9 oz.) cowhide leather for holsters starts out very dry. It is often dampened to allow it to be shaped around a form. Then it is allowed to dry to maintain its shape. After the holster is dyed and stitched, it can be treated with the appropriate color (or neutral), shoe polish. If you expect it to hold its shape, you do not want to use anything on it to soften it. If you go nuts and add something to soften it like Neatsfoot oil, it will quickly loose its shape and will not hold your gun securely.

If you think something is wrong with your holster, take a picture of it and point out the offending issue.
Here is one of my full-flap holsters I have made:
flap_zpscqyf6dct.jpg

Here is another holster...it is an outside the waistband model for a S&W 36 snubbie:
001_zpsd1bfa732.jpg
None of my holsters have ever seen any softening agent or ever needed one.

Dampen the loops and put cartridges in them and let it dry. As was already said you do not want a soft leather gun rig. You want it hard and stiff.

You really don't want to do that. Mink oil will soften it, soft leather stretches. Use mink oil on your boots where you want soft leather.

Ahh, I see. Oil of mink might not be ideal for that particular purpose.

Wet leather against brass cartridges is a bad thing,,,

Dampen the loops and put cartridges in them and let it dry.

Unless you like that nasty green verdigris that will quickly form.

Aarond

Soft leather stretches then it shrinks. That's what wet forming is all about. However, as mentioned, holsters are not supposed to be soft. You keep 'em waterproof with regular shoe polish applied the same way you polish your shoes(read the label). Shoe polish has waxes in it.
That nasty green verdigris is not from the leather. It's the copper coming out of any brass bits. In any case, when you're wet forming leather the rule is 'wet but not dripping'. Certainly not soaking wet.

Unless you like that nasty green verdigris that will quickly form.

If you get any it will be from the cartridges and will come off. Or use nickel plated cases. The idea behind using the actual cartridges is so it won't shrink up too much and still be a snug fit.

Pure lanolin wiped on and use a hair dryer to melt it into the leather. Ebay has lots of it.

If you do use lanolin use it very sparingly. Rub it on and wipe it off. It will soften some leather just like neats foot or mink oil if you use too much.

Back