Holster Recommendations for Running

six-gun

I live in a small town in southern AZ where i'm more likely to run into wildlife than a person with ill-intent when running. I want to carry when i run for both reasons though and am looking for suggestions on what works best. The culture here is used to seeing open carry so concealing is not a requirement. We quite literally see open carried guns every day. Belly holsters are not ideal, as my belly is simply too big at present; bigger than my hips so there would be no retention if i did that. I can wear around the hips or just above though. So far I have looked at shoulder rigs, bands that can be worn below the big belly like those at pistolwear.com, and tactical thigh holsters. I have carry pistols ranging in all sizes i could use but would prefer to carry my xd(m) .45 4.5 inch. I have slimmer/lighter options all the way down to a sig p38 .380. Does anybody else carry when they run? How do the thigh rigs compare to something like the pistolwear Trump card that can be worn as a shoulder rig?

It is a stretch to call what I do running - jog, walk, jog, walk... Anyway, I use a 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch and generally position it on my hip or slightly behind. It is fairly small, but can accommodate a smaller handgun, ID, Weapons License, keys, etc.

I got a pistol wear holster i plan to try out today but i've also seen multiple recommendations of the forums i've asked for the hill people chest pouch. I may have to give that a whirl too.

Please keep us up to date on how these go. I wouldn't mind a concealed carry for running, though I understand your needs are slightly different than mine.

Back