Holster Rant

DaleA

Sights-I’ve been pleased with all the replacement sights I’ve ever put on a handgun.
Grips-I’ve been pleased with all the replacement grips I’ve bought. Sometimes I might go back to the original grips but the replacements always did something I liked-made the gun look better or more comfortable.
Trigger and action work-I’ve not had a bad experience…I’ve been disappointed but never had a smith do something that detracted from the value of my guns.
Novelty Accessories-Even when these didn’t work I’ve had fun with them.

Now we come to holsters.

They are to put it mildly, frustrating.

I got a cheap, unlined leather holster once that put serious rust on a revolver in a week. This was an old revolver that had survived for years and years in relatively good shape until I got a hold of it.

Typically my complaint is the holsters turn out to be clumsy or uncomfortable.

I freely admit the problem might be personal with me. Even after all this time I guess I don’t have a checklist or any formula or criteria for choosing a holster. “Looks like that one might be good,” is about the level of my expertise.

This post quite some time ago is my favorite concerning holsters from a long gone member ‘AA040371’.

In a perfect world I'd stroll into ‘Holster World’ or ‘Holsters-R-Us’ and my personal holster shopping assistant would help me try on and test out various holsters all day long until I found one that met whatever criteria I have. But I have described an alternate universe. Are there any good approaches for trying/testing out various makes and models of holsters that don't involve a long series of purchases and returns?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554911&highlight=holsters

I've got sympathy for anybody buying a holster but no real answers.

Holsters always seem to be the one thing that everyone has issues with. I personally like Cross Breed and have several of their, but that is me. What works for me may not work for another.

Bottom line? I feel you pain!;)

I've got sympathy for anybody buying a holster but no real answers.
The only real answer is, wade through everything and anything you think will work for you, and hope you find something. Its really the only way.

Its also the only way to know what "really" works and what doesnt and why.

Another way to look at this is, back when I started carrying a gun, the selection (guns and holsters) was pretty slim, and nothing at all like whats available today. Be glad you have a decent choice.

Haha, it's like shoes or a mattress. Put on the shoes for 5 mins or lay on a display bed for 5 minutes and what are you CERTAIN about? Well, you know that the first 5 minutes is acceptable!

Come to think of it... motorcycle helmet also really is the same way. And the best way to choose a motorcycle helmet is to replace one that you KNOW from experience worked well.

No doubt, the holster game is tough.

I have a drawer designated as the holster graveyard. And worse, every once in a while I get optimistic and think one's been in there long enough to be reincarnated to something wonderful so I try it again.
I should know better.. Back to the graveyard it goes.

Now we come to holsters.

They are to put it mildly, frustrating.

That is why there is such a thing as a holster drawer/box/bushel basket. Two or three or more holsters each, for as many handguns as I have that I might want to actually carry, as I narrow in on "just right".

I got a cheap, unlined leather holster once that put serious rust on a revolver in a week.

There's your first, and biggest, mistake...

I don't know why people don't put as much care in their holster purchases as they do their gun purchases. The holster ends up being a complete afterthought, even though it directly effects how you carry, deploy, and protect your gun. I never expect to be happy with a cheapo gun store holster for anything but range use. I expect to do a TON of research on what people use and recommend with my specific gun, and try to find out if they are similarly built as me, dress similar, etc. No detail is to small. I'll search as many different forums as needed, not just the ones I'm a member of. I then expect to pay good money, and usually wait 2-6 months to get my chosen holster custom made. Even after all that, it might still not be perfect for my needs, but I have a much higher chance of success than just going with cheap store bought items.

I guess I was lucky with holsters. First a JMG Holsters IWB for my XD40 Subcompact. Didn't work all that well.for me. Triedthe Theis Holsters IWB Hybird for my Springer, and that is what I have stayed with. Have them also for a Kahr CM9, Ruger LCR, and Charter Arms Bulldog. All are comfortable, secure, and convenient.

My first IWB holster was an Alien for my S&W Shield; wear almost daily. My outside holster around the ranch is a Bianchi for my S&W model 66; wear daily. I have a Simply Rugged holster for N-frames that works fine. Have a Galco for my 45's.

All these holsters fit and work great....guess I'm just lucky!

Good holsters are not inexpensive...and that's where a lot of guys go wrong / they try to go cheap...or they try and go with some holster that says they will fit more than one model....( and it rarely, if ever, works out ).

The holsters I use ...and recommend...are Kramer Leather ( horsehide not their cowhide offering because horsehide is smoother and will not affect the finish on your gun as much as cowhide). Every holster they make is formed to one specific model...for a full sized 1911, a S&W N frame ...etc.../ but as an example, I will use one full sized 1911 holster that will fit a 5" or a 4" gun .../ or the N frame holster may be designed to fit a 5" barrel..but it will also work on a 2 1/2", 3" or 4" barrel N frame...

Over time, I have tried a few styles Kramer makes ...but the one I stick to for carry is IWB, with a forward FBI tilt.../ for range work or training, I go to a scabbard style, OWB with a forward FBI tilt.

Buying a leather holster and expecting them to accept it as a return - is not going to happen / unless there was a mfg'ing defect. My only suggestion is to talk to your buddies and see if someone may have an extra holster that they will loan you for a few days...so you can wear it and see if you like it. Guys have a lot of holsters out there..and a good friend might loan you one..

EBay is often a good place to pick up "good", major maker holsters at very reasonable prices. Ive bought and sold a bunch there.

Its also a great place to get some return on that box of holsters everyone seems to have. I had two good sized boxes of holsters when I first started selling stuff on EBay, and made out quite well selling them off.

Good holsters are not inexpensive...
But they don't have to be overly expensive either. The Theis holsters I have, and am very happy with were priced twenty bucks or so less than the well known originator of the design. Now the very well made, and comfortable Allien Gear holsters of the same design are not much more than half the price.
I don't have any personal experience with Alien Gear, but my Son is very satisfied with his. As well as many good reviews of them I have seen.

I use Kramers and safariland. No complaints. Price isn't a guarantee, but I can't remember the last holster I liked that was under $60....more like $80 actually. ..

I think it really comes down to studying before you buy. I have had great success with Overland, Comptac, Milt Sparks, Rafter S and Don Hume.

I think the difference is I really think about what I want a holster to do and then I study pictures intently.

I have had a miss or 2, but it is rare.

To me, the challenge is that holsters look like a 2D design, but good holster makers master a true 3D construction method. It seems like new holster makers build a glad 2d holster. Then they add some curve. Finally, they master full 3D manipulation within their pattern.....there may even be a forth level where they truely master the pattern details like achieving a great sweat guard without impeding draw.

People have no problem spending $1500 on their ultimate sidearm, but they balk at paying for a decent holster to carry it. The holster is what connects the gun to you and allows it to be quickly drawn without fumbling the draw.

Buy a good holster people. I have carried a concealed gun on and off duty for over 28 years. I have always carried securely and comfortable with Galco, El Paso Saddlery, Desantis, Safariland, and numerous other QUALITY holster makers.

I love some of these grand ASSumptions that people won't spend money on a quality holster and that is the issue.:rolleyes:

If I don't have an issue spending $$$$ on a firearm or two (or 20, or 30, or 40, or...) then I'm not skimping on holsters..

Maybe, *gasp* :eek: it's another issue!! Like the way you are built and your wardrobe. I don't think many of you around here walk around with 24.5" waist and 35" hips. That's 10.5" difference there that a firearm will most likely print in most outfits.

Thankfully I am on duty most of the time and wear a thigh rig and carry a full size firearm. But the times when I'm off and do want to go somewhere, worrying about what to wear is hard enough without dealing with your firearm and holster set up working with it as well.

I have found the route of custom made works for me and have a few guns, with holsters made, I have designated as carry guns that I have found works with anything and everything I wear.

Quit being so quick to judge and jump to conclusions around here.

For OWB carry, I find myself using my cheap Glock Sport Holster most of the time.

It works.
51MRKe-VR2L._SX300_.jpg

The key is a good quality reinforced gun belt.

Most talk about guns & holsters but leave out the gun belt.

In choosing a holster, simply look around at what is usually popular for you particular model gun, and how and when you will be carrying.

By careful observation, the Tom Threepersons type of holster has always seemed best for my application, i.e. everyday carrying of a Single Action revolver.

So I analyzed my needs for such a holster, open toe instead of stitched bottom, no retention strap or thong, forward cant. I outlined my ideas to CraigC at Graveyard Jack holsters, and vola!:

Bob Wright

I got a cheap, unlined leather holster once that put serious rust on a revolver in a week. This was an old revolver that had survived for years and years in relatively good shape until I got a hold of it.

All due respect, leaving any gun in a leather holster is a bad idea.

Back