holster question

oceanica

Inactive
I'm very, very new to this, and am just getting my rig together.
My question is. Why don't I see anyone using the "drop" holsters. I think that is the correct name. These are the holsters that attach below the gun belt and ride low and are tied off to the thigh. It would seem these lend to a faster draw? Thanks, Mark

Mostly 'cause you ain't lookin.
There are some out there, but they are not real common, the Buscadero rig is a movie prop and is not real Cowboy. But it is ok to appear as a movie character so I have seen folks wearing them around here.

SASS costuming rules say you can dress historically accurate, or as a fictional character from TV, movies, or books.

I see both drop and straight style rigs at CAS events. I personally use a drop rig because it puts my hand near the gun butt and I also don't have to raise my elbow to heaven to get my 7.5" gun to clear the holster.

A great selection of rigs are available here and all are SASS legal.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/TK_Western.html

One Reason I Dont Use Drop Holsters Is Because Im Only 5'5" And If I Did I'd Have To Put A Damn Wheel On The Bottom Of The Holster.lol.i Like The Slim Jims Which Are Also Period Correct.

I just ordered a 1858 Remington New Army Revolver from Cabela's today. I also ordered two of the holsters and two of the matching gun belts shown below. The holsters are cut to fit the 1858 and come either right or left handed. I ordered one of each. I like the single loop design better than the slim jim or flap holsters.

i210179vr01.jpg

p006175sq02.jpg

Back