Holster hunting for Ruger SR9c

curly45

I am trying to find a comfortable aiwb holster and currently looking at the Alien,Spartian and Craft brands the 1st two are similar in construction and materials but the craft is non kydex. My size is another consideration {5'10'' and 230#s. Any help in choosing a comfortable day wear holster would be appreciated. I am sure that some of the folks out there have experience that would help . I have some doubt with the mfg;s claims. Thanks to all contributers:confused:

You don't mention what type of gun or hunting you plan on carrying for, but I use a leather bandolier holster for my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. I'm 5'10 - 200lbs. I have used other holsters and find that the bandolier style is the most comfortable. The weight of the firearm is carried across your body instead of your waist. This makes for an easier hunt (at least for me) because the gun is in immediate access across my chest and much less tiresome than hanging off my hip. You should check them out. I'm glad I did.

Welp, don't really have a solution for you but 'I feel your pain'. IMhO holsters are waaaaaay more frustrating to buy than guns.

I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap (I bought a cheap unlined leather holster once that within a couple weeks put rust marks on a nice blued revolver) and if you find a store that will let you handle and try on a holster do NOT use them and then go buy it on line for a cheaper price.

P.S. I stand by my statement about buying a quality holster BUT I did once buy a cheapy nylon rig off Ebay years ago for a ridiculously low price and it has worked over the years for carrying a handgun...it CERTAINLY isn't a quick access holster, it would only be good for concealed carry if you were wearing an overcoat and the craftsmanship is something below an Uncle Mike's rig. (PPS I actually some of Uncle Mike's stuff and think they are a good company). The thing holds the gun securely and hasn't messed up the finish and so I'm happy with it for what it is.

Good luck to you and maybe you want to check out Midway, they have a holster finding application on their site.
https://www.midwayusa.com/holster-finder/

I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap (I bought a cheap unlined leather holster once that within a couple weeks put rust marks on a nice blued revolver) and if you find a store that will let you handle and try on a holster do NOT use them and then go buy it on line for a cheaper price.

The only time I have ever heard of a leather holster causing rust is when someone stores their gun in a leather holster. It is also notable that the leather in a gun holster should be of the vegetable tanned rather than chrome (salts) tanned leather.

I was frustrated with the available styles of holsters years ago, so I started making my own. I prefer full-flap holsters to protect the gun when I am hunting. Here is one of my full flaps. https://link.shutterfly.com/MBL3Iu2E2ab

Last edited:
Sorry that I may have mis-led people but I am looking for a concealed carry holster for a Ruger SR9c or similar pistol. I intend to wear it inside my pants in the 12 to 2 o,clock position. DaleA- have been looking at the uncle mike but have had a problem finding what size to get thanks for the advice. Again sorry for the 1st post

I am trying to find a comfortable aiwb holster and currently looking at the Alien,Spartian and Craft brands the 1st two are similar in construction and materials but the craft is non kydex. My size is another consideration {5'10'' and 230#s. Any help in choosing a comfortable day wear holster would be appreciated. I am sure that some of the folks out there have experience that would help . I have some doubt with the mfg;s claims. Thanks to all contributers:confused:

Concealment Express.

Molded to the specific gun, which you want. Also cheap enough to not be too painful if you decide it's just another addition to the Box of Regrettable Holsters.

I bought a CE IWB holster for one of my guns. It's cheap, but checks all the boxes for what a holster is supposed to do (hold gun securely, release easily, cover controls, secure on belt (once clip was replaced with snap loops, my preference)).

I would not go with a generic, one size fits some, holster, or a flimsy leather holster, or a nylon Uncle Mike's Sidekick type. Not for carry. Not for AIWB.

Welp, don't really have a solution for you but 'I feel your pain'. IMhO holsters are waaaaaay more frustrating to buy than guns.

I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap

Much wisdom there. Holster buying, especially for a obscure or no longer popular gun, can be quite frustrating.

Good luck to you and maybe you want to check out Midway, they have a holster finding application on their site.
https://www.midwayusa.com/holster-finder/

Yeah, Midway's holster finder tool is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Back