Holster for S&W PC 629 V Comp 5"

I often carry a Redhawk, out in the boonies--mostly when dove-hunting or "just exploring". I've never found that there is any particular "need for speed".

I have found that a conventional hip-carry interferes with a rifle slung over my shoulder, so a location in front of my left hip works better. I just use a GI pistol belt and an old Uncle Mike leather bucket. Works fine. Cheap. Nylon's just as good, I guess.

During a long day, if weight becomes a factor--and it darned sure can--the use of some sort of shoulder-supported system can reduce fatigue. The straps oughta be wider than what most shoulder rigs have, though. Silly to have narrow straps biting into your shoulder.

:), Art

Thanks for your reply! I have a Redhawk too. Have gotten a couple deer, a groundhog, and a squirrel with it so far. Lots of targets of course. Good gun. One of my brothers prefers it to the Smith, but the Smith just feels a little handier for me.

I'm thinking seriously about a nylon shoulder holster and think I may have one lying around somewhere if I could find it from the last time I went deer hunting with the Redhawk. The shoulder holster has the advantage of better weight distribution and better fit when wearing coveralls and etc. (handgun deer season in Illinois is in early January). Just not as ...

Still searching for the perfect holster. I've checked out some options and now narrowed it down to a shoulder holster. I've carried it in a nylon shoulder holster that I presently own, but would like to move to a leather one. Barrel down (not horizontal), lined so doesn't mar finish. Don't want a flap. Some that distributes weight well as it is a fairly heavy gun and I will be doing a lot of walking. Lots of adjustment so can wear comfortably in summer with just shirt or in winter over jacket. Suggestions?

I carry my 25-5 6 inch and my Model 29-3 Mountain gun in a full flap, cross draw holster. I designed it, and had it made by Tactical Leather in Micanopy Florida. It carries almost parallel to your stomach. I also have a strap made, that goes over the shoulder. The holster can be attached by Chicago Screws to the strap, and you can wear it like a shoulder holster when I go wading in the swamps. Like others have said, quick draw is not all that important in the woods. This holster keeps the gun free of scratches, and still available for use.

Back