Holster ? for LEO's.

OneInTheChamber

Hey guys, I'm looking to become LAPD once I graduate from HS and college. I was wondering whether officers, especially LAPD officers, know whether its your choice on holsters to carry or whether you deal with what you are issued.

The reason I ask this is that I want to use my Bianchi carry-lok because of its retentive capabilities. It seems to make a lot of sense to me when you're wrestling with BG's to have a gun that is very secure, yet very easily acquired to someone who knows how to use it (sweeping a small lever that releases the firearm; its very easy to learn to use and just as fast as a standard holster).

Thanks,

Chase

I don't know about LAPD, but my dept's SOP states that uniformed officers must use issue holsters. Plain clothes and TAC Team guys have a little more lattitude. Good Luck!

Different policys for different departments, but I'd bet LAPD issues holsters. Simply a matter of logistics.

Bianchi is good stuff, but whatever you get make SURE it is TRIPLE-retention. This has probably saved my life once or twice and I know it has saved the lives of others on the Job. If you want to do some ride alongs with LAPD(I reccomend it before making a career choice) PM me.

you are still in high school, when you become a police officer, just set your fazer to stun and put it in your pocket. seriously you have plenty of time don't get too hung up on it. The selection for police around here is long and arbitrary and many good guys don't make it. when you go to college get a good degree not some dumb law enforcement or criminal justice degree. you could get 4 years of straight A's and get a DUI the day before graduation. then nobody will hire you. try for the police, just have a plan B.

At the LEA that I work with, we are responsible for our own equipment, (Issues a gun, radio, and vest) which makes for a bad day at the police store when you get hired, but it is well worth it in the long run, as we are a very fortunate department. We may get whatever type stuff we want as long as it is black basketweave leather. I wear a Safariland w/ hood as that is the only holster I know of that will accomodate the M3 lights. TRU is issued basic tac gear, but we have a lot of discretion in how we set that up too.

Upon graduation from the academy, you'll be given the departmental sidearm and supporting leather. You'll wear no less or no more. Most every department (large cities) has standard issued equipment. It's alot of weight to carry. Having served my 25 in LE, may I suggest you look into other public service careers. But, if you care to hear those reasons, you'll have to post another question.

I work around LAPD

They seem to have various holsters. I see swivels, high rides, and low rides without much uniformity.

It looks like there is some choice, but I would bet there is an 'authorized list' of holsters permitted. And all must be black, basketweave with brass hardware or some other such requirements.

During your probationary period, you may have even less choice.

In other words, don't spend too much money now. You will get firm direction when you graduate the academy.

Back