Holster for Glock 20?

Swifty Morgan

I'm trying to come up with a good holster for a Glock 20.

I generally carry a compact Glock (29) in my pocket. I decided to get a big Glock with more capacity for working outdoors here on the farm. Now I need a good way to carry it.

I used to carry the Glock 29 in a Miami Classic II shoulder holster when I was a church volunteer. Maybe a shoulder holster is the way to go. A gun on a belt tends to bang into things and get caught. The Miami Classic II is leather, though, and I don't know how well leather holsters work in hot weather.

I know one thing: I want something a gun will slide out of quickly, instead of the typical belt-holster thing, which is a wrestling match that gives other people time to shoot you.

Suggestions welcome.

It seems you want two things that a mutually exclusive. There is something to be said for a shoulder holster if you need to have a weapon out of the way while working. But at the same time, if you feel the need for a fast draw, no shoulder holster will be even close to as fast as an open top Kydex belt holster. Just a fact.

As to sweat effecting leather, it certainly will over time, even if you let it properly dry between uses. How long will depend on the quality of the product and you'll need to decide if a shortened life is the cost of the utility. There are synthetic shoulder holsters that will be unaffected by moisture out there, do a search.

If you decide speed is of the essence, get a belt rig. I really like JM Custom's OWB 1.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/c/OWB-Holsters.html

holster

I'm a big fan of the Glock produced belt slide type holster, I'm not sure what Glock calls it officially. It's tough and wears like iron, I find it easily concealed, affordable (less than $20.00) and it offers a slight degree of friction retention should you have a tumble. The large size will accommodate the G20, and will work just as well for the G17 family too. The G20 is a big pistol and most folks find it hard to conceal without an ample cover garment.

Another holster series I like is the Safariland ALS family in the concealment lineup. There a bit bulky, but the auto lock is secure, fast and superior to any friction lock.

I'll add that I am not a fan of a shoulder holster for SD or LE carry. Local PD had a detective loose his firearm in a struggle with a perp a few years back, had there not been other officers present, the plainclothes guy would have been in big trouble. Horizontal models present the fire arm butt/grip forward for an easy grasp by the bad guys if you ending having to close with one, on purpose or accident. Vertical and upside down models not much better in that respect. Don Johnson and Harry Callahan looked great with a shoulder rig, but I think there are better choices.

carry position

I think you may want to consider different carry positions on your belt. A lot of people think: belt holster = hip holster = 3 o'clock. But that gets cumbersome and for me uncomfortable to have things riding right on your hip bone.

When I wear my hybrid Inside the Waist Band (not great if you're worried about sweat) it's at 4:30. It doesn't clunk against things much, I only notice it when I sit down and lean back against a car seat.

For more comfort, I'd be thinking you're looking at a an Outside the Waist Band holster, and consider seeing if bringing it more towards the back does better.

Not cheap, but I use this when I need to keep a gun out of sight. It works great when hiking, fishing etc. I use the bag for turkey hunting. There are 2 compartments, one for the gun and another for other gear. The gun comes out pretty easily if you follow the advice in the instructional video. This might be a good option for carrying around a farm as well.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5

Back