Holster advice for Novice shooter.

Bpcurious

Hello :D

Let me preface this by saying that I have done several searches for information on this topic, but feel free to direct me to any threads you might recommend. Also, I understand that holsters are a personal choice, but I won't have time to try any out, what I need is something right now.

So, I was wondering if you fine gentlemen and ladies could give me input on what holster make/models have worked best for you? Holster is for a Glock 19, OWB (but also able to IWB would be ideal), and is for my wife who is not a gun person. It needs to be easy to draw, but keep the firearm secure. Also it would need to clip on/off easily.

I will/am teaching my wife the fundamentals, so no worries, the Glock is the only handgun I have or will have for awhile. The reason for the rush is because I got switched to nights at work, the wife has to potty the puppy and has been taunted by homeless folks in the area. Hopefully I can figure something else out, but for now this seems like the only option.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ask her how she would actually carry the handgun. Will she carry regularly with OWB, IWB or in her purse? What does she think about the weight of the handgun? Does she have any training and is she confident with the firearm? Don't force her to carry if she is not ready or confident.
With regards to holsters, I prefer leather. The kydex holsters are great for a low cost alternative, but for everyday carry and comfort, leather is hard to beat. I typically use Kramer Leather holsters for the quality and comfort but there are other manufacturers who make quality products too.

Thanks for the replies and help!

It got me started in the right direction. I like the look of the CrossBreed holsters. Anyone tried the quikclip? Also, is horsehide really worth it? :D

Thank you!

For me pancake holsters are the easiest way to carry OWB.
I've purchased from many makers and they all seem to work pretty good.

You should find a big box. Buy holsters without regard to gun make, left hand, right hand, etc. The more the better. Throw the holsters in the box. Then you'll be where the rest of us are, viz. a box full of useless holsters.

You should find a big box. Buy holsters without regard to gun make, left hand, right hand, etc. The more the better. Throw the holsters in the box. Then you'll be where the rest of us are, viz. a box full of useless holsters.

Thats so helpful.. :rolleyes: :D

It's true, I've got one of those boxes and it's a big box. Took me many years to collect.

I'm trying to avoid that!

Any time I want to buy something and my wife says it's too expensive/unnecessary, I go around the house and collect all her shoes into a big pile :D (and then I definitely CAN'T buy whatever it was I wanted, but I made my point!)

I don't want my wife lugging out a box of holsters :(

Last edited:
My ccw holster

I carry both my Kahr CM9 & SW Shield in Tagua speed holsters. Owb loose pull down shirts. Thing I don't like is there is no safety strap to keep someone from grabbing my gun if anyone happens to see I'm carrying. I have small hands and any thumb strap would interfere with ease of pulling and grabbing position of my hand on gun. Oh well thing is with me I'm small guy so I need a close fit holster

Back