Holographic sights

Starsfan

Hi guys and gals.

I am considering buying one of the holographic sights for my AR-15. I've looked at the Bushnell Holosight, Tasco Optima 2000, C-More Systems, and Trijicon Reflex sights.

Do any of you own any one of these, and what are your opinions on them, or the others?

Thanks for all replies!

John

I have put the Tasco optima on a pair of 1911's and am well
pleased but haven't had them there long enough to say they
are the best..They are very convient as to size and weight and
the cost is reasonable..
When the eyes start to go anything that helps is good..Just seems that some things are better than others..I have PDP4's
on a pair of 45's that were used for bowling pins and they have
held up very good,several years of hard use..
I mwould say if it is possible try all the sights and then make your choice..
Good shooting..

Thanks Bompa.

If you don't mind, can I ask what you paid for those Optima's.

The Bushnell seems to be next in line price wise, but I was wondering how well the Tasco's held up under recoil. Supposedly, the Bushnell was tested under the recoil of the .454 Casull round.

I understand you are able to shoot with both eyes open using these types of sights. Is that true?

TIA, John

Starsfan,,
I do believe that the price was around $130. from midway..Of coarse that was before they started to charge postage.. Think the price is still the same but postage add to the end cost.
It seems to me that they would work rather well on an AR where
there is almost no recoil..On the 1911 they are mounted on the slide so they get slammed around every shot..Tasco claims they will hold up to this punishment,only time will tell..
I only shoot light loads in 38super,800-900fps.
Yes you can use a red dot sight with both eyes open,prefered method.,
Hope this of help..

Bompa,

That sounded like a good deal from Miway!

I'm going to the gun show in Dallas this weekend and will probably buy one of these sights if I find a "deal".

I mostly target shoot and plink with my AR, so whatever I buy should last a long time under normal use.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Shoot safe, *starsfan*

I have a first generation Bushnell HOLOsight and an Aimpoint Comp M-XD for my Bushmaster AR15.

My thoughts on the HOLOsight at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/holo.html

Please note that there is a mistake in my article as the HOLOsight is made of polymer, not metal.

Short answer: HOLOsight (especially the second generation) kicks ass for competition and non-social use, Aimpoint is best for anti-personnel use.

HTH,

Justin

Justin,

Thanks for your opinion on the Bushnell HOLOsight! I'm leaning towards this brand and model right now because I can't justify spending the bucks for the others.

Question? I've read on a website the other day that the NEW model Bushnell's are for law enforcement use only. I believe it had something to do with them being compatible with night vision equipment. Do you know if this is true or not?

(I ride bikes also! My last bike was a
Honda CB900F Super Sport. I sold it last summer, and wished I hadn't as the guy rode it out of the driveway! I NEED some more wheels myself.)

I checked out the pictures of you and your friends at the range. Nice shots!
Pun intended!! Also some great shots at the Glacier Park. I think though that the Bear would have scared me a little.

Thanks again for the reply. Safe shootin' to ya'.

*starsfan*

The second generation EOTech HOLOsight may have a LE version but in general the second generation model is not LE-only. There was a LE version of the first generation Bushnell HOLOsight as well. The only difference between the two G1 models: (1) steel shielding around the HUD display to increase durability; and (2) special IR filter to allow the sight to be used with NVDs.

The G1 LE model was not restricted to LE use (i.e., you could buy one without dept. letterhead). I suspect the second generation LE model has the same modifications and is similarly not restricted to LE use.

By the way, that picture of the bear was taken from inside the car. :) Nevertheless, we saw five bears in our first day into the backcountry (without the benefit of being in a car) and that was a real experience.

Justin

Bompa and Justin:

Thanks for all your replies and help.

I'm going to the gun show in Dallas this Saturday. If I wind up buying something, I'll post it here later.

Thanks again, *starsfan*:)

Back