Hollowpoints????

hoosierboy

I have used all kinds of ammo and for the hell of it bought some federal hollowpoints 9mm for my pistols. I was told they are bad for my gun.

Can someone tell why I would or wouldn't want to use hollowpoints in my pistol? I am ignorant and am sure there are plenty of more intelligent people on this subjact than I certainly am.

Who told you this? and why?
Some guns don't feed certian types of hollow points reliably, but I can't imagine them being "bad" for the gun.
What type gun do you have?

I have a ruger 95 and a taurus pt 111 both I got for under $225 they said they expand in the barrel and scrape against it I thought they were nuts, but as Ignorant as I am I thought I would get a second opinion.

Greetings, Hoosierboy! Standard pressure JHPs will NOT harm your handguns and +P (extra pressure) JHPs will merely accelerate wear, but will not "blow up" or break the guns. Anyway, regular JHPs will harm the guns no more than standard velocity FMJ rounds. As for expanding in the barrel; there is a grain of truth in this, but I doubt that those who told you knew it or that it's harmless. I suspect they added that it also expanded in the air or some such. Here's the truth: FMJ ammo has thick jackets and is very slight over the diameter of the barrel as is the case with cast bullets. Pressure forces them down the barrel and they are very, very slightly compressed to the barrel's diameter. Thinly-jacketed JHPs are often very, very slightly undersized. Example: Sierra JHPs are roughly .3555" diameter. The barrel on a Bar-Sto 9mm HP barrel is .3565. The thin jacketed bullets will, under pressure of firing, "expand" to fill the barrel, but retain their original shape. Out of my HP standard bbls, they "expand" less. In no case do they harm the gun or barrels. Best and good shooting.

Look at a fmj and hp side by side. The profiles are almost identical except for the nose. The part of the bullet that contacts your barrel on a fmj is the same part that contacts on a hp. The hp's won't expand in your barrel (some won't even expand reliably when they hit something, why would they expand in a barrel). Even if they did, how would that harm your gun? As far as scraping, how could they scrape it when the metals used to manufacture bullets are softer than the steel of your barrel? Of course the bullets are in contact with the barrel. Most modern handguns are made to function with hollowpoints or fmj's. Hollowpoints will not harm your gun. Shake

Back