Hollowpoint Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

My quest to design a better antipersonnel bullet continues; however, I have run into a snag and was hoping the TFL community could bring their considerable knowledge to bear on a simple question. First, let me recap the basic design idea....

Caliber: .41 Magnum
Diameter:0.410
Weight: 170-grain
Style: WC-JHP
Muzzle Velocity: 1500 feet per second
Muzzle Energy: 850 foot pounds
Description: This is essentially a fully jacketed hollowpoint with no exposed lead and a full wadcutter profile. The interior lead core would be soft, the jacket extremely thin, and the cavity very wide. The full wadcutter profile is to maximize the size of the entry wound to increase blood flow and all of its incapacitating effects. The fully jacketed hollowpoint would prevent the deformation of the cavity as often occurs with hollowpoints with exposed lead when carried as spares in speedloaders. Of course, this is a essentially a "revolvers only" load given the full wadcutter profile.

Currently, the company making the bullet for me is using a jacket thickness of 0.025 for their handgun bullets...which are usually meant for use on deer sized game.

Assuming the lead core and jacket are quite "soft"...how thin would you make the jacket to ensure rapid expansion in a human target while minimizing the chance of overpenetration?

- Anthony

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited August 05, 1999).]

I don't claim to be anything close to an expert but I would think that the thinner the jacket, the harder (or stiffer) it would have to be, up to before the point of being brittle (within the normal temperature ranges). With a thin soft jacket couldn't bullet deformation (torquing or twisting) take place within the rifling or the forcing cone?

Anthony,
sounds like what you want would be a full wadcutter, hollow based, electro plated with jacket matterial and loaded backwards.

Instead of a jacket - how about Molly Coated?

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Anthony,
If I read your description right, the bullet will look like kind of an hourglass right?At the pressures you will be working with is there sufficient mass in the center to prevent the gasses from blowing a channel through the bullet?

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back